• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Recommendation's for a 223 Deer round

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used 76 gr federal fusion. Never lost a deer killed them 3 to 300 yards. Lots to be said about a gun you ain't worried about kicking you like a mule. Both my girls first deer was with it too.

The deadliest "Bambi Slayer" I know uses an old A-Bolt Medallion in .223 with a CRAPPY Burris 3-9X Scope and Federal Vital-Shoks with the 60-grain Nosler Partition in 'em--He's killed 12 or 14 with it versus no lost deer since he went to it following shoulder surgery several years ago. BTW, his shoulder has "Healed Up" to the point he can shoot my 700 ADL .308 without discomfort, but he's had such good results with his .223, he sees no reason to change now--YMMV, of course...

Guy I work with tagged out week 1 of firearms with a 22 mag.

I would tell you how many he’s really killed the last 3 years but it would be upsetting and I know feds be watching.

I like tsx 55g and rem hypersonic bonded 62g
Do the tsx open as well as the ttsx is reported to?
The only 223 I have is a 14.5 barrel, and as I understand it, the tsx is slightly more velocity dependent than the ttsx.
I do like the Barnes bullets, and feel the solid copper would maybe give a better chance for an exit, but my experience with deer/223 is limited to 62gr Federal Fusion, which my dad and youngest daughter had good success with.

I use 55gr ballistic tip it gets the job done and I haven't lost one yet, as far as shot placement that depends on you it doesn't matter what you are hunting with you need good shot placement, I have seen deer drop with 223 and run off with 270, if you are worried about being ethical either don't hunt or make sure you can make the shot count.

Glad to see a smaller caliber discussed instead of the "lords" 30/06 that folk seem to sware by south of the gnat line. I love me some 243 myself

243 is the most underrated round it is one of the flattest shooting hunting rounds made but everyone wants to call it a woman's/kids hunting round but it's so much more.

Do the tsx open as well as the ttsx is reported to?
The only 223 I have is a 14.5 barrel, and as I understand it, the tsx is slightly more velocity dependent than the ttsx.
I do like the Barnes bullets, and feel the solid copper would maybe give a better chance for an exit, but my experience with deer/223 is limited to 62gr Federal Fusion, which my dad and youngest daughter had good success with.
It opens up pretty well, I also shoot a 14.5. I don’t typically hunt with it but I have just to see if it’ll kill and had no issues drt!

I use 55gr ballistic tip it gets the job done and I haven't lost one yet, as far as shot placement that depends on you it doesn't matter what you are hunting with you need good shot placement, I have seen deer drop with 223 and run off with 270, if you are worried about being ethical either don't hunt or make sure you can make the shot count.
Yeah that fiocchi 55g vmax Hornady load does extremely well. Plus they look tact2cool

I just read another thread on a diffent platform about this. The other view was from your Processors.
Shot placement does directly affects your meat return! Interesting reading as this arguement is about the type of bullet.

Honestly if your strictly meat hunting use a Bow of some sort! The concussion from a bullet destroys more meat than any arrow ever could!

If your hunting for enough Bone to make a good Soup then you arent interested in saving the meat so use that 50 cal so you can Brag later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom