• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Recommended tools for upper receiver build OR

Kaikias

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
25   0
Reaction score
Well I've done a few lower receiver builds and figured it's time to start doing complete builds. Especially since it's starting to get difficult finding upper receivers with everything I need (want).

Other then the things I have for lower builds what else do I need? I know I'll need a torque wrench and the upper vice block- any recommendations or will pretty much anything do? Anything else that would make things easier?

The other option is just to buy what I need and have one of the many gun smiths around do the assembly. Anyone gone down this path? I read an older thread where someone said they had to pay $20 so it might be the cheaper option....

Thanks

A vise is a must. The delta ring assembly...if you go that route..requires a special tool (the name escapes me at the moment) to minimize frustration. Roll pin starter and punches, a nylon or brass hammer to minimize dings, and an armorers tool

Edit: delta ring setup almost requires a snap ring plier

Last edited:
Vice, vice block, punch set, barrel-nut wrench/armorer's tool, gun grease. You really don't need a torque wrench. Get the barrel nut snug and then go just far enough to line up the gas tube and to properly align the upper receiver with the top rail if you're installing a freefloat rail. It should be seamless.

Yes the extension block is a nice tool to have. A dpms upper block works well too. That an an high quality ar15 multi tool is all you really need outside of what you have (vice, punches, hammer, etc...,)

I think the magpul upper and lower vice block is better than a normal upper vice block since it grips the barrel. Not that the other vice blacks won't work, but the magpul block acts like a reaction rod.

I think the magpul upper and lower vice block is better than a normal upper vice block since it grips the barrel. Not that the other vice blacks won't work, but the magpul block acts like a reaction rod.
That's funny. For years I used a 8" piece of 2X4 that I drilled a 1" hole all the way through and then split in half as a barrel block. I built many an AR upper with that piece of wood and my vise. Truth be told I still use it sometimes if I happen to see it before my vice block.

Back
Top Bottom