• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Recreational Pot; has your view changed?

Do you think marijuana should be decriminalized and taxed as a commodity?

• Total voters
collective-evolution.com studies show alcohol is the gateway drug Not marijuana , but we could do this all day. People are gonna do it anyway. Legalizing takes the Mexican Cartel Scum outta the picture
Oh, goody.
And I know a lady who never used a car seat for her kids, and would let her toddler stand up on the front seat, hands on the dashboard, and ride around town like that. They were never in a crash and the kid wasn't harmed in the least.

Oh really?
I don't think it's a myth, nor has it been "debunked."
Read this short article from the National Institute on Drug Abuse:

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/marijuana-gateway-drug

Or this 2016 article in the New York Times, from the head of the Institute for Behavior and Health:
http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebat...rug/marijuana-has-proven-to-be-a-gateway-drug

When studies are sponsored or done to find the bad in things, they will find the bad in things. Weed is schedule 1. They have not been able to study it honestly or openly.

...unlike alcohol, there is no non-intoxicating social use. You ONLY smoke it to get high, not the same way some people will drink socially at a party or to enjoy a beer or wine with food and not get intoxicated.
With weed, impairing your brain seriously is the whole point of it..

You do understand that people that use alcohol in moderation in social situations are using it to "get high", right? A moderate dose of alcohol lowers inhibitions and creates a sense of euphoria in the user - larger doses have different effects. This is the text book definition of "getting high".

People who drink coffee enjoy the stimulative effects of their morning Joe. It perks them up and gets their bowels moving. This is the same thing as "getting high".

Any idea why ice cream is so popular? Sugar activates the same reward centers in our brain as heroin. You know why? Because we need sugar to live and your brain has developed a way to make you happy when you give the things it needs to survive. By the way - we are starting to understand that sugar is really bad for you in the huge doses that we typically consume.

Any substance that you take in your body to alter your mood or consciousness makes you "high". It acts on the neurotransmitters in your brain. You only have to be willing to open your mind to understand the mechanics of the action.

So is your argument that one "high" is more legitimate and useful than the other?

Or is it possible that you have been conditioned to believe alcohol is more acceptable because that is what you have been told for most of your life and it is the only substance that you have first hand experience with the people around you enjoying in a responsible manner?

When I used to smoke weed every day I was all for decriminalizing it. What's the big deal? I'm not hurting anybody. It's a plant. It's natural. For many of us it starts with alcohol as mentioned. That was my experience. But weed works faster. It was much easier to smoke a doob than drink a fifth of liquor. Although the combo meal was often on the menu. That's how I justified it most of my life. I did everything high. Worked, raised a child, even taught a Bible study class. You think I'm proud of myself? Hardly. Illegal? That didn't matter. I'm no fan of big government but I think the original intent of making it illegal was coming from the right place. Smoking pot every day definitely affected my comprehension, ambition and motivation. And the stuff they are growing today?! You think that's "natural"? That didn't just sprout out of the ground without some chemical coaxing. We are becoming dumber and less healthy as a society from all the things we ingest. By the grace of God I have been sober for almost 8 years. Alcohol in my youth quickly led to pot which led to cocaine which led nowhere...fast. What is to blame? Drugs? Laws? No. We are responsible for our own actions. The sad fact of addiction is that you don't really know you are going to be an addict until it's too late. I have tried to impress that upon my son. There is somewhat of a genetic component to it. He's experimented and seen the bad side of drugs and alcohol. Today I see no reason for it to widely legalized. Medicinal benefits are still being studied and will probably be implemented one day. Does our corrupt, bloated government work quickly or efficiently enough? No. Often it doesn't. But it works better than all the rest. Federal, state, county, municipal, household...the choice comes down to you. Smoke it if you want. The DEA is not busting down your door to snatch the bud out of your bong. And I don't think our prisons are brimming over with misguided youth who just happened to be holding 1.01 oz. of herb. I'm grateful I have the choice to abstain today and don't really worry about the legalities of it. But I bet there is more than one would-be addict who doesn't even think twice about it today because it was illegal and he was scared of getting in trouble. And please don't tell me that weed isn't addictive. I was addicted to it. Not physically, no. But mentally that stuff had me by the balls for a long time.

Then the choice is simple. Don't smoke it.

But once again this thread just goes to show, that this has absolutely nothing to do with "freedom". People only care about their idea of freedom.
John non pot head hadn't been smoking it, yet he got fired cause his friend had, would one suggest leaving the room when someone else has an alcoholic beverage, or that John non head had ridden on the car's luggage rack, I'm just making a point that as in many cases I too have witnessed in courts, the guilty go unpunished and the non guilty get punished. Thar's our "justice" system unfortunately, and the scales of justice will never be balanced, so the choice or rather recommendation to "Don't smoke it" doesn't mean a hoot, however had they both of been doing Coke, and since Cocaine stays in your system for 12-72 hours, not up to 30 days, he'd been just fine, now is that a fair system?

BY the way its been a spiritual herb, out on earth by our Creator, since before the days of the Anasazi Indians A.D. 200 to A.D. 1300, during their time and still is used in real Pow Wow's, not the showcase kind touring the country like a wild west show, the medicine man mixes what is used in the peace pipe and hence the term "peace" during hippiedom, the time doobies the size of a horses dong were rolled and passed around at concerts both in and outside.
I've got to get off my soapbox now and let you all argue it out, I have the urge for a dozen Twinkies.

Back
Top Bottom