• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Recreational Pot; has your view changed?

Do you think marijuana should be decriminalized and taxed as a commodity?

• Total voters
Somewhere around the time I turned 30 I had a major change of thought on all of this. I'm a fairly smart guy, have a BS in Political Science, and was pretty much always a staunch Libertarian. I was all about Laissez Faire everything from economic regulation to social law enforcement. I figured everyone could act however the wanted and if neighbors wanted to tar and feather a bad neighbor so be it. If folks wanted to kill themselves drinking or doing drugs so be it. Let natural selection sort it all out.

These days I'm of the opinion that the vast majority of the population cannot handle this level of freedom any more than a bunch of middle schoolers. I no longer like going to sporting events with my family because inevitably there will be plenty of grown men who are drunk and acting like complete fools. I am active on my neighborhood HOA because it seems that not everyone can handle acting like respectful, responsible adults that are members of a community.

Essentially my opinion is that the vast majority of our population is now in a perpetual state of adolescence where it's all about "me" and no longer about the community as a whole. "Everything Goes" is the new mantra and I am supposed to grin and bear it when surrounded by every manner of profane behavior imaginable in the name of progress and tolerance. Never mind that this means doing so with my wife and hopefully one day a child in tow.

I'd really have to think hard on the "legislating morality" bit, but overall I will say that I do not like how quickly this country is sliding to the forced total acceptance of any and all behavior.

Just food for though - no real point or argument made.

Somewhere around the time I turned 30 I had a major change of thought on all of this. I'm a fairly smart guy, have a BS in Political Science, and was pretty much always a staunch Libertarian. I was all about Laissez Faire everything from economic regulation to social law enforcement. I figured everyone could act however the wanted and if neighbors wanted to tar and feather a bad neighbor so be it. If folks wanted to kill themselves drinking or doing drugs so be it. Let natural selection sort it all out.

These days I'm of the opinion that the vast majority of the population cannot handle this level of freedom any more than a bunch of middle schoolers. I no longer like going to sporting events with my family because inevitably there will be plenty of grown men who are drunk and acting like complete fools. I am active on my neighborhood HOA because it seems that not everyone can handle acting like respectful, responsible adults that are members of a community.

Essentially my opinion is that the vast majority of our population is now in a perpetual state of adolescence where it's all about "me" and no longer about the community as a whole. "Everything Goes" is the new mantra and I am supposed to grin and bear it when surrounded by every manner of profane behavior imaginable in the name of progress and tolerance. Never mind that this means doing so with my wife and hopefully one day a child in tow.

I'd really have to think hard on the "legislating morality" bit, but overall I will say that I do not like how quickly this country is sliding to the forced total acceptance of any and all behavior.

Very liberal elitist attitude there. You feel that you know better than everyone else and feel justified in using the hammer of government to force your beliefs on others. It take a village and all. Let's restrict gun ownership and voting rights too. You know those pesky middle schoolers can't handle freedom.

Yup, as we have political correctness shoved down our throats, the values that made our country great are quickly disappearing . Honesty, integrity, compassion, hard work and the desire to work hard to become self sufficient are fleeting traits. People would rather get handouts and be saddled to the government for their daily pitens rather than create their own, independent existence.

Yup, as we have political correctness shoved down our throats, the values that made our country great are quickly disappearing . Honesty, integrity, compassion, hard work and the desire to work hard to become self sufficient are fleeting traits. People would rather get handouts and be saddled to the government for their daily pitens rather than create their own, independent existence.

The government would rather give handouts and have control over the people.

Very liberal elitist attitude there. You feel that you know better than everyone else and feel justified in using the hammer of government to force your beliefs on others. It take a village and all. Let's restrict gun ownership and voting rights too. You know those pesky middle schoolers can't handle freedom.

That is absolutely incorrect - you took my post completely wrong. I did not state anything about using government to force my beliefs on others. I explicitly stated that I wasn't weighing in on whether I thought this is a situation that should involve government.

That is absolutely incorrect - you took my post completely wrong. I did not state anything about using government to force my beliefs on others. I explicitly stated that I wasn't weighing in on whether I thought this is a situation that should involve government.
Every person should be able to ruin or end their own life.
We can end the life of an innocent unborn child so why not have the freedom end the life of a parasite upon society?

I am fully anti-abortion for what it's worth, though I don't see how that is part of a marijuana discussion.

I haven't alluded to anyone being a parasite upon society either, however, I do not want to be out and about around people who are drunk or high.

You quoted my post but I'm not sure how either of your points are related.

I am fully anti-abortion for what it's worth, though I don't see how that is part of a marijuana discussion.

I haven't alluded to anyone being a parasite upon society either, however, I do not want to be out and about around people who are drunk or high.

You did vote "No. Put em jail". That is using the hammer of government to push your morality.

Regardless of your personal feelings, the laws as of now, allow legal abortion, but smoking pot will get you arrested, fined, and even forfeiture of cash and property.

You are already "out and about" people who are drunk or high.

I no longer like going to sporting events with my family because inevitably there will be plenty of grown men who are drunk and acting like complete fools. I am active on my neighborhood HOA because it seems that not everyone can handle acting like respectful, responsible adults that are members of a community.
Did you notice any "pot heads" acting like complete fools?

How do you know that these "grown men" were drunk? Did you give them a breathalyzer test? There are people that are stupid when they wake up in the AM.

You seem like the best neighbor anyone could hope for.

Maybe you should move to a country where their laws will not allow such behavior.

Back
Top Bottom