Registration/Insurance Question: Please advise me!

Moondog1

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
183   0
Reaction score
So sometime this past fall/winter, I sold a motorcycle to a guy. I forgot to cancel my insurance, then I finally remembered about it and it's been such a hassle because they crap Progressive says you can't do it online or over the phone but it takes a written letter to the state? So my insurance ran out on it(it was about $125 for the year! That's why I just let it go). My question is, do I need to do anything? They told me to go to the DMV(i'm guessing tag office or DDS) and tell them I sold the bike because they reported my lapse in insurance? What do I need to do ya'll? I have the VIN but I don't know if I have the tag number or not that was on it. This is a real pain in the ass.

You'll need to go to the tag office and sign a form saying you sold it. You don't need the tag number, just your license.
It's a lot easier if, next time you sell a vehicle just remove the tag and turn it in so your drivers license doesn't get suspended.
Which is what will happen if you don't take care of it.

This one instance where a bill of sale would possibly be helpful as supporting info. As soon as I sell a vehicle of any kind I go to the tag office and inform them then cancel the insurance.

I dropped liability insurance on a broke down car in December. I got a letter the other day from the gov....sold the car 2 weeks ago to a guy in Alabam....turned the tag in, they can go pound sand.

Thanks for the replies. I will try to get to the tag office before they close. This is a real pain but I guess it's better than having to go to DDS and wait for 4 hours.

Back
Top Bottom