• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reising M50 MG new Forgotten Weapons Review

Trader805

Default rank <2000 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
232   0
Reaction score
Well it took a while for Ian to finally do a full review on Reising M50 (he did one about 7 years ago on the Paratrooper M55 and couldn't get past the crappy wire stock - but the video does have an excellent take down and reassembly portion that applies to the M50).

He says what most who own them know... great sub-gun. Way under valued. Really fun and controllable to shoot as a shouldered weapon. Unwarranted reputation. Like most things, once you know the facts you can move past unfounded bias and misinformation.

So tired of hearing people play old tapes about how bad they were. Ian addresses it - Marine Corp really screwed up on the initial deployment in Guadalcanal. That created the 'buzz'. If you stop there, bad MG. But...This weapon thrived in WWII and after, being used on Navy ships, Coast Guard, home defense- guarding power plants and bridges and later with law enforcement and prisons. It just needs to be used in the right environment.

Every one that has ever shot mine loved it - many say more than other subs.

Questions?
Can you get replacement parts, like the springs, and firing pins? Yep, easy and inexpensive. Check out Keystone Arms or the like. Only part issue I have seen is replacement barrels are a little hard to come by, but if you have patience (and if you are in the class III game, you understand patience) and know where to look, they pop up. Now granted, I do not or have had a need for a new barrel, but just throwing it out there. Are the mags cheap and easy to find? Nope, but once you have them, the springs and followers are easy and cheap to get so they last as long as you don't structurally damage the mag (so no using them as a hammer or pry bar). I never dealt with the 12 rd mags (um... why), but the 20 rd do well and the Christie 30 rd are great. Is the M50 difficult to take down and clean? Like anything else, not after you've done it once - just watch Ian's M55 video or you can easily get a manual on the internet. I can take one down and clean one in about 10 -15 mins, but I am not in a hurry. Other actual owners I have talked to love them too. Like anything else, you may get one with issues (some have sat for several decades) but most are easy fixes. Buy from someone reputable and that solves a lot of problems. Again, this is from actual owners.

They are limited on modification options, unlike an M16 or SWD M11/9, but for what it is, and at it's cost point, it is reliable and fun to shoot. And ... like all registered MG's, the value keeps going up as, "They are not making any more".

Never had my hands on one, but have seriously considered them in the past because, as you point out, they are pretty close to 'entry level' pricing in the SMG market.

They probably aren't as popular because they haven't been represented widely in any action films, nor been picked up in a COD variant. Plus, with the wood hardware, they aren't nearly evil enough looking, lol.

Never had my hands on one, but have seriously considered them in the past because, as you point out, they are pretty close to 'entry level' pricing in the SMG market.

They probably aren't as popular because they haven't been represented widely in any action films, nor been picked up in a COD variant. Plus, with the wood hardware, they aren't nearly evil enough looking, lol.
Do you know you are right on all counts.
In the HBO series, the Pacific, I think there was a cameo, but not really ever a storyline other than in a video games where you could use one.

Let’s not kid ourselves, any popularity of the FNC .223 MG totally came from the movie, Heat.

I will have to bring mine out to the next MG shoot and let you try one out.

Well it took a while for Ian to finally do a full review on Reising M50 (he did one about 7 years ago on the Paratrooper M55 and couldn't get past the crappy wire stock - but the video does have an excellent take down and reassembly portion that applies to the M50).

He says what most who own them know... great sub-gun. Way under valued. Really fun and controllable to shoot as a shouldered weapon. Unwarranted reputation. Like most things, once you know the facts you can move past unfounded bias and misinformation.

So tired of hearing people play old tapes about how bad they were. Ian addresses it - Marine Corp really screwed up on the initial deployment in Guadalcanal. That created the 'buzz'. If you stop there, bad MG. But...This weapon thrived in WWII and after, being used on Navy ships, Coast Guard, home defense- guarding power plants and bridges and later with law enforcement and prisons. It just needs to be used in the right environment.

Every one that has ever shot mine loved it - many say more than other subs.

Questions?
Can you get replacement parts, like the springs, and firing pins? Yep, easy and inexpensive. Check out Keystone Arms or the like. Only part issue I have seen is replacement barrels are a little hard to come by, but if you have patience (and if you are in the class III game, you understand patience) and know where to look, they pop up. Now granted, I do not or have had a need for a new barrel, but just throwing it out there. Are the mags cheap and easy to find? Nope, but once you have them, the springs and followers are easy and cheap to get so they last as long as you don't structurally damage the mag (so no using them as a hammer or pry bar). I never dealt with the 12 rd mags (um... why), but the 20 rd do well and the Christie 30 rd are great. Is the M50 difficult to take down and clean? Like anything else, not after you've done it once - just watch Ian's M55 video or you can easily get a manual on the internet. I can take one down and clean one in about 10 -15 mins, but I am not in a hurry. Other actual owners I have talked to love them too. Like anything else, you may get one with issues (some have sat for several decades) but most are easy fixes. Buy from someone reputable and that solves a lot of problems. Again, this is from actual owners.

They are limited on modification options, unlike an M16 or SWD M11/9, but for what it is, and at it's cost point, it is reliable and fun to shoot. And ... like all registered MG's, the value keeps going up as, "They are not making any more".

I always liked the looks of the Reising 50. And yeah I agree that it most likely didn't deserve the rep it wound up with. Although kinda like Ian said, it seems like it would have been better suited as a law enforcement and or prison guard gun. Aside from that the only downside I see to it is the 20 round mags. It's hard to bet that after all these years someone hasn't adapted these to use M3 grease gun mags.

Had a chance to break out the Reising this weekend with some compadres and we had a blast. Yes, pun intended.

They were mostly US Marines and loved it.

Back
Top Bottom