Reloading 308 tolerance, bolt vs semi

Have done 9 mm .40 and 45 just not 308

Bottleneck cartridges are whole different ball of wax. A bit more of a pain, risk and tedious. The information provided is good stuff and explains some of the why?

The pressures dealt with in most bottleneck rounds are far above pistol and will stress the brass much more. With each firing the brass will expand-stretch and the necks will grow in length. Which will require a trimming. After 2-3 trimmings many folks will discard the brass. As the brass grows and thins a thin line may be observed at the base-warning of impending case separation. So beware of high pressure rifle reloading and use a measure of caution that one might get away with while loading lower pressure pistol ammo but not high power rifle loadings.

Let me know when you "have" to trim your straight walled pistol brass as my Dad and I never have.

Also if you have to chamber a rifle round rather forcefully, remove it and break it down or see if it chambers another rifle with a bit more generous chamber dimensions. Firing a round that was forced into battery may/will cause a significant rise in chamber pressure as the brass expands very little.

You will also need to lube the necked brass to prevent a stuck case in the die. A decent manual should cover much if not all that has been mentioned.

Brass hardens as it is worked and becomes brittle. You can anneal the cases with heat to give more life to brass, especially expensive uncommon rifle brass.

This is a little higher than I often see.

i58.tinypic.com_sbkeba.jpg

This is where I see most brass start to fail.

i62.tinypic.com_2dqsrk0.gif

You should start with a basic reloading manual. It will teach you the fundamentals of reloading.

No I shouldn't.A friend of mine does all the reloads and has for 25 years,but I will pass on the info for him to get a basic reloading manual.

Back
Top Bottom