• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reloading woes

I went ahead and loaded another handful today after a through cleaning and being very slow and deliberate on the up and down stroke. Only had a couple of screw ups and a few primers get sideways in the priming system, so definitely a lot better. Then I took out the powder through die and the bullet seating die and deprimed a bunch of brass. Now I need to get a hand primer and primer pocket tool. Going to order that tonight unless someone has one they want to part with!

Thanks again guys, and I will update you guys as I progress. Get it? "progress"? :tongue:

I went ahead and loaded another handful today after a through cleaning and being very slow and deliberate on the up and down stroke. Only had a couple of screw ups and a few primers get sideways in the priming system, so definitely a lot better. Then I took out the powder through die and the bullet seating die and deprimed a bunch of brass. Now I need to get a hand primer and primer pocket tool. Going to order that tonight unless someone has one they want to part with!

Thanks again guys, and I will update you guys as I progress. Get it? "progress"? :tongue:

I like hand primers, used one for over a decade. Never a sideways primer and the seating depth is nearly always perfect. Best of all I can watch the news and prime brass. Workload that's not like work.

I like hand primers, used one for over a decade. Never a sideways primer and the seating depth is nearly always perfect. Best of all I can watch the news and prime brass. Workload that's not like work.

Yeah, and considering that one wonky primer can stop you for enough time to make up the difference, it seems logical to go that way, especially since everything else is working like a charm.

Alright guys - hand primer is on its way still, so decided to clean her up real good, reset everything and try again. Loaded about 40 rounds and only had two problems. One of those was a piece of small pocket brass that snuck in.

I was working with deprimed and sized brass - just removed that die. One less operation per rotation just allowed me to slow down and pay a bit more attention i guess. I still plan on hand priming my brass for the foreseeable future.

Loaded 185 grain hollow base Berry's with three different loads. All of my testing was done with an XDM .45. 5.8 grains of Accurate #2 provided good results as far as function and consistency. Did not load enough to get a great idea about accuracy, as I wanted to test for function before loading a bunch. Only problem is that recoil was the same as factory loaded ammo.

6.5 grains of SR 7625 was really soft shooting - too much so as it would not eject! 6.8 grains of the same worked fairly well, with two FTEs. Going to load up a dozen or so with a touch more to see how those do.

Those powders were used because they were all I could get my hands on. Think I will try some Red Dot as well, as I can get some of it. Did not get it initially because of reports of it being very smokey.

Thanks for all the input, help and encouraging words, guys!

As an aside, I found myself shooting a fair amount of the factory .45 I had with me in order to collect the brass. That is sick.

Got my Lee hand primer and primed about 200 cases last night. Some of those SOB's were TIGHT!!! My wimpy sitting behind a desk hands are sore. Sheesh!

Actually managed to flip a couple of primers and put them in backwards! I don't believe I will attempt to remove them. Although, if I soak them a bit in some water, will that eliminate the danger of detonation?

When I say what I do, I am not saying "you should". But:

I de-prime my backwards primers on the press, flip ride side up and reinsert for target rounds. It leaves a small dimple but they still fire in the gun. I just do them one at a time with nothing else on the press, primer catcher empty, hands and body parts clear, and safety glasses on. I keep the powder and flammable liquids far away, and make sure that if one goes off it will not result in anything bad happening.

I just push the handle slowly. More than 15 years of reloading, no explosive accidents or incidents.

If you do happen to finish a bullet with the primer in backwards and do not notice it, the primer will fire if hit by a firing pin, but the powder will not ignite. So, I inspect the rounds before loading into the gun.

I've had the upside down or side ways primer a time of two. Like 1006 I use the press to remove carefully. Then if its not too messed up use as target load. By the way I only use the single stage press to seat primers. I can give it the attention it deserves and I just like to. Anyone who needs a hand primer tool can offer me something for it I never use it or never will.

I've had the upside down or side ways primer a time of two. Like 1006 I use the press to remove carefully. Then if its not too messed up use as target load. By the way I only use the single stage press to seat primers. I can give it the attention it deserves and I just like to. Anyone who needs a hand primer tool can offer me something for it I never use it or never will.

What kind is it?

Back
Top Bottom