• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reloading woes

I use a hand primer and ever so gently seat primers on already loaded ammo. Be very careful. If its pistol caliber, I like to take the barrel out of the gun and drop the loaded rounds in to test them. don't get discouraged, it gets easier. What calibers are you doing?

Yea, this is pretty bad advice.

I can't say it is a good idea--pushing primers into loaded cartridges--but they are not likely to go off, it is the same action used to put the primers into unloaded cases and they don't go off. I do the same thing and have for many years and many rounds..

I can't say it is a good idea--pushing primers into loaded cartridges--but they are not likely to go off, it is the same action used to put the primers into unloaded cases and they don't go off. I do the same thing and have for many years and many rounds..

I've seen 2 go off. It does happen. With a loaded round, it would be a small grenade.

JDBerry--

I don't disagree that there might be some way of making it happen, but I can't imagine how. The design of the primer is such that it should not be possible to set it off by applying equal force to the entire flat area of the primer.

I have read that static electricity can set off primers. And, have seen pictures of primer tubes blown apart. Even saw one stuck in a ceiling after the explosion.

You are the first person that I have heard of that has actually seen two go off. How did it happen?

I had a loaded round go off while trying to clear it from my Delta Elite. The primer struck the ejector as I racked the slide. The explosion was like a firecracker. The bullet simply fell out of the ejection port after the blast. A small piece of brass was stuck in my shirt's fabric and my finger was a little black with powder ash. The rest of the brass was scattered about. I always teach my friends to clear jams with the ejection port aimed away and at the ground. And, I always wear safety glasses when reloading or shooting.

Cobalt--

You will be able to feel the primer go into the case after a little practice. A friend coached me for the first couple hundred rounds and the main thing he kept saying was to push that primer in before starting the down stroke. It is a common problem that will go away soon.

Both were on a press primer which exerts way more force than a hand primer. I admit that the chances of a kaboom with a hand tool are very unlikely, but If the primer were jammed sideways, and enough force was used? Who knows, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I'd just pull the bullets, and start over with empty brass.

I wouldn't do it if it were sideways. But on my progressive I have had a few that were in the hole just not seated all of the way in. I used the hand primer to push them in. If the primer is sideways, or misshaped it gets junked.

Wow.......what a good "talk about"!

I too, considering reloading. Got the time and think I'd enjoy the hobby.
Concerns bother me though. :scared:

I've read and watched different sources but still feel uncomfortable with the process. Looks easy enough but you are dealing with things that go "BOOM".:rip:

Thinking of contacting a experienced re-loader and providing some free labor while picking his brain. :director:

Wow.......what a good "talk about"!

I too, considering reloading. Got the time and think I'd enjoy the hobby.
Concerns bother me though. :scared:

I've read and watched different sources but still feel uncomfortable with the process. Looks easy enough but you are dealing with things that go "BOOM".:rip:

Thinking of contacting a experienced re-loader and providing some free labor while picking his brain. :director:
I'm very new to reloading myself, priming is the one part of the process that had me worried, size a case, measure powder, seat a bullet, crimp... no real safety worries aside from making sure that the final result follows published data... but primers, they can go bang.

Back
Top Bottom