• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Remington Golden Saber

6.5 Creed

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
15   0
Reaction score
Who shoots/carries these for defense. I have been carrying them for a long time and they have served me well, it is time to rebuy. I thought I would get some opinions here before I made my purchase.

What says the Trader?

remington-golden-saber-40-s-w-165-grain-jhp.jpg

IN FOR ANSWERS.

I carried those in my 1911, .45 acp, back when I had one of those.
I liked the fact that although they were full size and weight (230 gr.), and thus pretty slow, they STILL reliably expanded in all the gelatin tests I could find online.
I did my own experiments with stacks of soaked-wet newspaper (really soft and mushy, soaking for 24 hours), and also found that in .45 acp and .357 Magnum they gave good expansion and deep enough penetration.

NOTE: They aren't particularly hot loads. Other companies' offerings could push the bullets 20% faster than the mild-recoiling Golden Sabers. But, I like controllability too. I like to keep a tight group even during rapid fire, so I went with them.

All my research and tests were done 18 years ago. I still have some of that ammo left, so I haven't been shopping around or researching to see if Remington's changed their formula on those G.S. loads.
SO, WHAT DO Y'ALL SAY ABOUT THE CURRENT STATE OF AFFAIRS as to GOLDEN SABER?

IN FOR ANSWERS.

I carried those in my 1911, .45 acp, back when I had one of those.
I liked the fact that although they were full size and weight (230 gr.), and thus pretty slow, they STILL reliably expanded in all the gelatin tests I could find online.
I did my own experiments with stacks of soaked-wet newspaper (really soft and mushy, soaking for 24 hours), and also found that in .45 acp and .357 Magnum they gave good expansion and deep enough penetration.

NOTE: They aren't particularly hot loads. Other companies' offerings could push the bullets 20% faster than the mild-recoiling Golden Sabers. But, I like controllability too. I like to keep a tight group even during rapid fire, so I went with them.

All my research and tests were done 18 years ago. I still have some of that ammo left, so I haven't been shopping around or researching to see if Remington's changed their formula on those G.S. loads.
SO, WHAT DO Y'ALL SAY ABOUT THE CURRENT STATE OF AFFAIRS as to GOLDEN SABER?

It looks like they have changed the load a little and are now calling it the Black Belt. I am still working on finding info about it. If I can find a good ballistics test, I will post the link here.

I use the projectiles for several calibers but don't buy factory ammo.
In several weapons they are marginally the most accurate bullet.
as for failure to expand, not consistent expansion, well that can be said for pretty much any self defense round IF you look at bal test long enough.
1) bal test are Ok for comparison IF the Gel is properly mixed, stored and kept at the correct temperature. other wise its not a good testing material.
2) organic Bal Gel and the ready mix type that can be reused are not the same and give different results.
3) bal gel is a testing medium it is not a human.
4) even in humans like results are iffy as size, angle, what is hit all varies form incident to incident.

Back
Top Bottom