• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Remington Rolling block butt stock pics

loadnplenty

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
197   0
Reaction score
Ok so I picked up this rifle for a project gun. It is chambered in 32 rimfire. Plan is to convert to 32 S&W centerfire. I am going to be helped by 2nd4ever.

Here are pics of the gun before I start.. As you can see it has some rust issues!!! So there is going to be a lot of draw filing and sanding.

Last edited:
The receiver and barrel had some play in it once assembled so we measured the inside of the receiver. No problems there night and even diameter. We used 2nd4ever mill to do this.

been redoing a 1915 stevens favorite. Found an orginal heavy .925 octagon 32 win barrel blank 46" long. Had a barrel 20" long cut and machined to fit the reciever, got luck as the caliber alowed me to have it sleaved to 17 mach 2 with out having to ream it. he sleave slipped right in. I have been making a new stock and forearm out of burled maple. metal finnish will be 100% rust blue. have been looking for someone to machine me a set of scopre/sight rings. Will post pictures later

Friendly and experienced advice only so please all members....reserve the flames for PMs as I'm sure many will disagree by virtue of someone who knows someone who talked with someone who did it with success....cool, but neither the quality/strength of the 1915 Favorite nor nebulous knowledge that it'll work (it will for at least 1 shot) are a sound basis for proceeding with such a conversion.

Though there are no published pressure specs for the 17 Mach 2, SAAMI agreed to hold the pressures to that of the 22 LR. Consider, 22 LR pressure and velocity ranges vairy widely and the Stevens was designed to be barely adaquate with early 22 LR (most closely matching up to our modern Target Velocity 40g ammo.) Given the high velocity of the 17 Mach 2, we can and should safely assume the 17 Mach 2 pressures are higher than Target Velocity 22LR ammo, more akin to the HV & "Stinger" type shells.

Anything other than a low pressure (Target Velocity) rim fire (.22/.32, etc) on a Stevens 1915 is a accident waiting to happen. They were low quality boys rifles when new, age and new color case dosn't make them any better in the design arena. They have insufficient strength of frame, breech, barrel wall thicknes and very poor breech locking for anything more than Target Velocity 22 LR cartridges...i.e. a low pressure design of weak materials and no way to improve it.

Even the HV 22 Rim fires and the 17 rim fires are too much for safty on the original Favorite actions. These calibers would probably be fine on the late 70s thru current Favorite actions though.

If you want to do a higher pressure/performance cartrige on a lever action single shot find a Stevens 44 1/2 or Win High or Low wall or any other suitable action initially designed for high pressure cartridegs and manufactured initially of much higher quality than the Early Favorites.

Last edited:
The bug has got you good now doesn't it? :cool:
Looks like a great old beater to play with. I'm sure you didn't just pick a caliber from thin air before starting, but have you checked the actual chamber and bore dimensions? I'm asking because when I started trying to find/ make ammo for my .32 rimfire shotgun I found the dimensions to actually be .30 rather than .32. I caught pure heck trying to find a suitable parent case. If the conversion becomes too big of a deal you can always fall back and punt with some of the brass with the offset primer pocket from Dixie gun works and make some reloadable .32 rimfire.
Good luck and I look forward to following your project.

No I didn't just pick the caliber out of the air lol. I saw it on the store shelf and went home did some research and decided to go back for it. And as far as testing the chamber I happen to have an old 32 rim fire cartridge in my collection. It fit perfectly!! But I did remember your rifle when I saw it and thought about you making the ammo for it. I think this will be a cool little project with conversion. Also will be a test of my patience and ability to learn new things lol.

Back
Top Bottom