• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Removing & Replacing Pinned/Welded Muzzle Device

nicholas_wb

Default rank <300 posts Supporter
Tracker
8   0
Reaction score
I have a 14.5" AR-15 upper with a pinned/welded muzzle device from the factory. Put simply, I want to replace this muzzle device with a SilencerCo ASR flash hider that will also be pinned and welded to avoid SBR issues. While I've built my fair share of AR's, pinning/welding muzzle devices is beyond my capabilities, so I have the following questions:

(1) What is the best shop in northeast Georgia that could do this? I'm coming of Hartwell.

(2) What is the current price of such a job?

(3) Can the SilencerCo flash hider be pinned and welded? Or can only certain muzzle devices be pinned and welded?

I've put SilencerCo flash hiders on other barrels and I'm choosing it because it's long enough to put the 14.5" barrel over 16" in length and still usable with an Omega suppressor.

1)ADCO. But ship it off

2) too much to make it worth it. You’re almost better off just starting over with a new barrel

3) AFAIK it’s nothing about what brand flash hider as long as the material works out.

If the weld is not to deeply penatrated its possible to grind off down a little way and try to remove the pin but it just depends if they just layed down a tack weld on top of the pin or if they really laid the heat to it and penatrated it real deep.

Is the barrel stainless or CMV or CHF? Who is the manufacturer? I'm just trying to see what the price of the barrel would be as opposed to what it would cost to have that done.

If the weld is not to deeply penatrated its possible to grind off down a little way and try to remove the pin but it just depends if they just layed down a tack weld on top of the pin or if they really laid the heat to it and penatrated it real deep.

Is the barrel stainless or CMV or CHF? Who is the manufacturer? I'm just trying to see what the price of the barrel would be as opposed to what it would cost to have that done.
Daniel Defense, which is why I’m not just outright replacing the barrel

Daniel Defense, which is why I’m not just outright replacing the barrel
Roger that 100%! I was successful in doing it once but it was a stainless Barrel and the media they used to weld is not real compatible with stainless so it released fairly easy. I did have to clean up the threads afterwards but I wasn't real concerned with the appearance since it was getting replaced with another one.

I have a 14.5" AR-15 upper with a pinned/welded muzzle device from the factory. Put simply, I want to replace this muzzle device with a SilencerCo ASR flash hider that will also be pinned and welded to avoid SBR issues. While I've built my fair share of AR's, pinning/welding muzzle devices is beyond my capabilities, so I have the following questions:

(1) What is the best shop in northeast Georgia that could do this? I'm coming of Hartwell.

(2) What is the current price of such a job?

(3) Can the SilencerCo flash hider be pinned and welded? Or can only certain muzzle devices be pinned and welded?

I've put SilencerCo flash hiders on other barrels and I'm choosing it because it's long enough to put the 14.5" barrel over 16" in length and still usable with an Omega suppressor.
1. I use Atlanta Rifleworks. Beautiful welds.
2. $100-150
3. Yes

Ayyyy Tony is awesome, definitely go to Atlanta Rifleworks. We have done a couple DD pin and weld removals and swaps at our shop if Norcross works for you. I will say you may want to talk to the gunsmith prior as I remember the last DD pin and weld he removed had something strange about it. Cannot remember rn tbh

Back
Top Bottom