• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Revolver Questions...

1jcwallace

Default rank <4500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
113   0
Reaction score
I am in the market for a 357 in 2 inch for my mom to keep at the house. Not looking to spend a lot of money. I have narrowed it down to a Taurus/Rossi 357. I know it is not a Smith but try to understand where I am coing from as I am not looking to spend an arm and a leg. Which do you guys prefer. I own one Taurus and it is a 1911 and I love it. Never shot a revolver from either Taurus nor Rossi. I am thingking a revolver for ease of use and the fact that she can practice with 38 ammo but keep it loaded with the 357. Any help or feedback is greatly appreciated. Thnaks as always

Have her pull the trigger before you buy it. My GF couldn't pull the trigger on my SP101, but had zero trouble with my G22.

If revolver it is look at an old .38 S&W. They can be had around $250-$300. If you do go with a .357 have her shoot it with .357 and with .38. I bet she will hit the target faster and better with the .38. If so that's what I load in it for her.

I wouldn't put a 357 in the hands of a woman unless she is an experienced shooter. Nothing against women...they typically out-shoot men at the same experience level. But, the recoil and muzzle blast of the 357M makes follow up shoots difficult, and the flash can disorient the shooter in low light conditions. I would stick with a .38 rated for plus-P ammo. Plenty stout...and makes the gun cheaper than buying a .357.

That being said...I owned a couple of Taurus revos before I bought my first Smith. In fact, I still handgun hunt with a Taurus 608.

I am worried about the "stopping power" of the 38. Havent owned one in years but I know the 357 is awesome. I know it is loud and kicks like a mule from a 2 inch barrel but I think my best bet price wise is to buy the 357 capability.... knowing it is probably going to only and ever hold the 38/38+p ammo

Maybe I'm a girly man but I've shot a light 357 and I won't again. As soon as the blood from the cut on my finger dried I swore never again. A 38 she will shoot is far greater than any 357 she shoots once is afraid to shoot again. Of course you can load the 357 with 38 and she will be well protected.

I have a Rossi model 971. It has performed as good as or better than my S&Ws, Rugers, and Colts. Mine is almost 20 years old and still kicking! I'd get her a four in barrel. A little more accuracy goes a long way when it counts.

Here is what I read wallace wants to buy a handgun for his loved one who is not a "gun person".

1) Good idea getting a revolver. It can sit in the drawer for years and will always perform when needed, with the user not having to know more than point and pull the trigger

2) .357 is overkill for home defense. Some will say you cannot "overkill" when your life is at stake but 38 special has been putting the bad guys down for over 100 years. .357 was made, not because the .38 did not stop 'em, but because sometimes they were behind car doors or were wearing primitive armor vests -- neither of these are likely in a home defense situation.
-- on the other hand .357 is much harder to control in a home defense situation for an untrained/unpracticed person. More noise, more recoil, more flash, penetration outside of the dwelling, are all things that will help the cause of home defense -- putting your loved one in a disadvantages position.

3) 2" is much harder to point & control than a 4" OR 6" revolver. It may look cooler, but if it is not to be carried, you are putting your loved-one in a disadvantaged situation with a snubby.

Please reconsider. A nice S&W model 10 is about as good as a someone can get in a revolver that is not going to train.

Of course the best answer is a pump shotgun.

Last edited:
If you're set on a handgun, fine, but understand that handguns SUCK as compared to a half-decent rifle or shotgun in very way except that they are smaller and therefore easier to take more places, which is not the point in your home. People will say that a rifle or shotgun is overkill. Yeah, it is... except that the idea in a fight is to win and stay alive. For my money, my mom would be getting an SKS or a 20GA for home. My advice... worth what you paid for it.

Back
Top Bottom