• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

River Trip

1667eb8be60b9102.jpg
Wait a minute, little short viking looking feller, what the hell you gonna do with that big ole ax?

In the State of Georgia when water ownership/transportation/property rights is an issue any government agency state or fed. or local can pull a law of any kind they wish from their back pocket regardless of the laws age to do as they please, we have water laws like no other state....even communist California & New York.

Lakes are different than moving water in Georgia. Creeks, rivers, and streams are owned by the private landowner, if it is the property line then it is to the middle of the stream bed. However even some ponds and lakes have private property lines through them. Corps property was built with the "buffer zone" and they own it.

And technically even the Chattahoochee has parts not considered commercially navigable. Georgia historically equates navigable by being used for commercial traffic. My understanding is that the Altahama and Savannah rivers are the main ones in Georgia.
And if memory serves the St. Mary's as well. I did quite a bit of research on it and remember reading a report that does account for some of the lower Chattahoochee to be considered historically navigable because of the past use of logging barges.

Unlike Alabama who considers all water and ground below that water to be State land, Georgia recognizes personal property rights and the right of the owner to restrict access.

(These are states rights and not to be confused with Federal EPA regulations)

Concerning smaller, technically "non-navigable" rivers/creeks/streams I believe the landowners own the stream bed as GeorgiaGun1 mentions, but not the water flowing over it. If they own land on both sides of the river then they own the stream bottom on both sides of the stream. It's not entirely clear, but if you are boating on a stream, you are not technically trespassing, but I have no idea how that would end up in court. Wading or getting out onto the bank would most likely fall into the trespassing category.

http://www.natlawreview.com/article/georgia-rivers-are-navigable

https://www.georgiariverfishing.com/GAarticles/WhoOwnsRiver.htm

Concerning smaller, technically "non-navigable" rivers/creeks/streams I believe the landowners own the stream bed as GeorgiaGun1 mentions, but not the water flowing over it. If they own land on both sides of the river then they own the stream bottom on both sides of the stream. It's not entirely clear, but if you are boating on a stream, you are not technically trespassing, but I have no idea how that would end up in court. Wading or getting out onto the bank would most likely fall into the trespassing category.

http://www.natlawreview.com/article/georgia-rivers-are-navigable

https://www.georgiariverfishing.com/GAarticles/WhoOwnsRiver.htm

There is some debate on the ability of the landowner to "own the water" and for the most part landowners who have a river or creek that others use for boating normally don't care. But my understanding is that if a property owner desired to fence across or restrict access to a stream, river, or creek that they own it is legal to do so.

The Georgia River Fishing article is one I've referenced in the past and it does a good job of trying to explain a very complies system.

I'm an avid gold prospector and have had to really research the topic to know my rights but also to not trespass or break any property rights laws. A lot of the time I just go to Alabama because every Creek over there is fair game. Lol

Not entirely true, I have a house on Lake Eufaula (Walter F. George), up X feet of the bank is Corp property, you have to get permits for damn near everything including grass cutting to the water & they enforce. I'd say check with a phone call, they will tell you for certain.

Same is true at my place on Lanier and our hunting land that joins lake Hartwell corp property.

Back
Top Bottom