• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Rock Auto vs AutoZone

harrycalahan

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
116   0
Reaction score
Since Im laid up at home with a blown back (again) I figured it was time for a one on one pricing competition. Ive heard guys whine about Rocks shipping before. While FedEx does suck big ones, you cant expect deeply discounted parts to arrive free. Me and my cousin are in the process of a roadkill revival with his 87 F150. So I filled the cart at both websites with as close to the same quality part as possible. Rocks total for 33 parts shipped to my door was $527 and AZ was $1101. And if you played around with the site some more, you might even get it cheaper by swapping items from warehouses. If the local parts houses had quality parts like they used to 30 years ago, this would be a completely different game. But thats not the case. Two things that are definitely not in RA favor. Warranty replacement and core returns. Other than that, they have served me well…

Catalytic Converter for my brothers car was 1100 at Advance Auto versus 470 at RockAuto. I'll wait a week to save over $600. I never order anything with a core charge from them and I always cross my fingers with returns because it really is a PITA.

Rock Auto 100%. Last purchase was a radiator and fan assembly. Got it in 2-3 days, sent me a return label for the core and I used the same box it shipped in. They've been good for me overall. Can't beat the price discount over the other stores. Unless it's something I have to have today to get running I'll order from them.

The downside to RA is there are no human CS agents to talk to. If you have an issue, you have to email. If you need it quick..re-order and return whatever it was. Warranty is a long wait, but usually taken care of at no charge.

The downside to AZ is...their parts suck wiener. Alternators and starters fail quickly, electronics are a crap shoot. But brake rotors, ac kits and catalytic convertors are usually name brand and cheaper. But I have a commercial account so I buy better. They are usually fast if its in the area, but to get it out of their DC or local warehouse is another crapshoot. Sometimes the warehouse manager doesnt want to send a truck to Fayette county....just because. I rarely buy from them.

I've never bought anything on RA. Their website is harder to use for me and seems dated. I assumed everything they sell is Chinese since they always say they are the cheapest. I might try them sometime, but I usually want the part now and don't want to wait on shipping.

I have been using O'Reilly's more lately. Yes customer service can pretty poor there too. Had a bad experience with a guy the other day. But I stop by and can usually get parts or exchange parts same day, so I can fix items quickly. Plus I take old oil back without a concern since they just saw me buy it a few days before. They are okay.

Summit Racing he as been good on several occasions (plugs and coil packs).

AZ and Advance are about the same. I shop both when looking for something and prices aren't that different. But customer service can be pretty good or pretty crappy.

Had good customer service at small local parts stores, often NAPA franchises. However they price oil the same as gold, so I buy the one of part I need and go back to the big chains for oil & filters.

Just my experiences,......

I've never bought anything on RA. Their website is harder to use for me and seems dated. I assumed everything they sell is Chinese since they always say they are the cheapest. I might try them sometime, but I usually want the part now and don't want to wait on shipping.

I have been using O'Reilly's more lately. Yes customer service can pretty poor there too. Had a bad experience with a guy the other day. But I stop by and can usually get parts or exchange parts same day, so I can fix items quickly. Plus I take old oil back without a concern since they just saw me buy it a few days before. They are okay.

Summit Racing he as been good on several occasions (plugs and coil packs).

AZ and Advance are about the same. I shop both when looking for something and prices aren't that different. But customer service can be pretty good or pretty crappy.

Had good customer service at local parts stores, often NAPA franchises. However they price oil the same as gold, so I buy the one of part I need and go back to the big chains for oil & filters.

Just my experiences,......
I agree on RA having a pretty dated site for sure. But they sell the non-OEM as well as OEM. My radiator and fan assembly were both genuine Ford OEM but a good bit less expensive than most of the other stores. It just takes awhile to sift through all the stuff they sell on their site to find the quality parts. I like Summit too, especially visiting the store in McDonough if I'm up that way.

Back
Top Bottom