• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Rogue Tesla mechanic

Interesting. Not surprised. There's a lot of profit in locking people into an 'ecosystem' with only one supplier of parts and repair options. Tesla is at the extreme end, but I think mere and more manufacturers will try to do more of this as they add mere custom software to vehicles. And I don't think most people are going to want to learn all they'll have to to do the work themselves. One of the factors that it sounds like will have to change for Tesla if they want to truly 'mainstream' their cars is cutting down on the length of repair times. People can't wait months for parts on their daily drivers. Thanks for posting.

John Deere is trying to maintain a repair Monopoly, as well.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/kzp7ny/tractor-hacking-right-to-repair

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting this. I believe this is going to be a bigger and bigger issue going forward.

And in John Deere's case, They're screwing with people's livelihood. Crops in the field won't wait. If the companies don't get more reasonable about this, I can see a politician playing this in several ways. The 'Right to Repair' laws like the article talks about but even harsher things. I can see somebody proposing that if John Deere limits DIY repairs, they have to provide a comparable loaner tractor for free within 24 hours or be sued for loss of income by the farmer.

I can also see some Chinese company coming in undercutting them with tractors that are easier to repair or the Chinese company be willing to make the software tools available to farmers.

Never gonna happen when youre propped up by subsidies.

You're probably right, but the way they're burning cash..... I'd love to see one of these "businesses should save the planet instead of worrying about the bottom line" companies go spectacularly best even with government subsidies, billionaire owner injecting his own money and stock market and celebrity groupies touting the company. I know it's not likely to be allowed to happen (bailout, anyone?) but, hey, a man can dream.

Back
Top Bottom