• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Local Mechanic GM Trucks

Florikan28

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
25   0
Reaction score
Hey all, I just got a newer Silverado, so of course I'm not able to work on it at all. About 600 mi later out of the dealership and the serpentine belt is chirping. Might need to replace a pulley and definitely the belt. Anyone know a good mechanic who will charge a fair rate for a relatively simple fix (hopefully)?

*Edit- I was able to get this taken care of today as the dealer I bought it from agreed to pay a local Chevy dealership to replace. Appreciate everyone's input!

Thanks

The old GMs sometimes would do this. Some others will weigh in. I'd try some belt dressing, it might fix the problem. And it would be a cheap fix
It only has 60k miles on it but I can already see some fraying of the belt, so it surely needs to be replaced. But wouldn't hurt to spray some in the meantime though.

It only has 60k miles on it but I can already see some fraying of the belt, so it surely needs to be replaced. But wouldn't hurt to spray some in the meantime though.
Yea, then I'd replace it. I bet you could do it yourself. It ain't rocket science. There should be a diagram on top of the radiator housing or under side of hood for belt route. You may need a pulley tensioner. Those do go bad pretty often

Pretty sure the service life of a belt is only around 60-70K miles. Not sure about the NEW new stuff but my 17 still has a mechanical fan plus an electric for the AC. 3/8 ratchet and about 5 minutes to change the belt. Worst part is getting it around the mech fan.

I always draw the belt route on a piece of paper before starting or take a picture if you can see everything.

Pretty sure the service life of a belt is only around 60-70K miles. Not sure about the NEW new stuff but my 17 still has a mechanical fan plus an electric for the AC. 3/8 ratchet and about 5 minutes to change the belt. Worst part is getting it around the mech fan.

I always draw the belt route on a piece of paper before starting or take a picture if you can see everything.
Yeah, at 60k miles I guess I'm not shocked it needs a new belt. I was reading that these newer models require a couple of specialized GM tools to replace the belt. Otherwise you have to get really tricky with it and sounds like a pain. So I wouldn't mind just buying a belt and paying someone to put it on for me.

Yea, then I'd replace it. I bet you could do it yourself. It ain't rocket science. There should be a diagram on top of the radiator housing or under side of hood for belt route. You may need a pulley tensioner. Those do go bad pretty often
I've changed some before on older model trucks, but I'm reading that the 2020 requires a special GM tool. Wouldn't mind paying a fair price for labor. Def don't want to take it to a Chevy dealership

Back
Top Bottom