Welcome to The Outdoors Trader

Register Now
  1. Welcome to The Outdoors Trader! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here. Registered users also see less ads!

Ruger Precision Rifle......?

Thread in 'Firearms Chat' started by Dingo, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Dingo

Dingo ODT Junkie!

2   0

Dunce
    Rating
    100%
  2. timbgtm

timbgtm Don't worry; it's not loaded!

87   0

Supporter
    GA Carry Contributor
    Rating
    100%
    In for more information!

3. insulinboy

insulinboy ODT Junkie!

29   0

Rating
    100%
    my neighbor has been considering one as well, in for info

4. Hayata

Hayata The Hen that laid the Golden Legos

86   0

Rating
    100%
    No direct experience with one except when I was at the ODT m&g at the CMP range, I forget which member had one in 6.5CM and it looked like his shots were almost touching at the 600 yard line.

Everything I've heard has been positive considering the price point.

I definitely want one one day...but then you have to get the glass, and a new caliber, and...nothing but money...and it's two hours away to stretch the legs, and ...

Dingo likes this.
  5. Twitch2120

Twitch2120 ODT Junkie!

3   0

Rating
    100%
    A smidgen behind the times. Great starter rifles, PRS ready, lots of modularity. Join the club and get one.

Dingo likes this.
  6. cmshoot

cmshoot ODT Junkie!

45   0

Rating
    100%
    Great rifles for the money spent. I've had numerous students show up with them, in all 3 calibers, and they all shot great. No worries to 1,000yds plus.

Dingo likes this.
  7. se3racer

se3racer Hunter

9   0

Rating
    100%
    That was me shooting the 6.5 RPR at the CMP meet and greet. With a good custom load, a good optic and a Silencerco Specwar, it will shoot x's all day at the 600y line if the wind behaves and you do your part as a shooter. When all is well, mine is a 1/2 min gun at any distance out to 1000+yards. I can shoot well more consistently with a high end custom rifle, however, the Ruger is not off by much. There is not many that come close for twice the money.

Dingo, LouHill and HuckleberryFinn like this.
  8. BHJ

BHJ The Hen that laid the Golden Legos

37   0

Rating
    100%
    There seems to be a pretty good bit of competition going on for this style of rifle. Savage started making the 10 and 110 BA available 6 years ago ( https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2010/1/15/savage-110-ba/ ) and now makes a much lighter version called the model 10 BA stealth.( http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/tag/110-ba-stealth/ ) [​IMG]

Ruger has been doing pretty well with the RPR ( https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/5/4/new-ruger-unveils-enhanced-precision-rifle/ ) [​IMG]

And now Mossberg has the MVP-LC, (https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/8/30/tested-mossberg-mvp-lc-bolt-action-rifle/ ) One of their MVP series rifles in a "Light" Chassis on the market
    [​IMG]

I know objective reviews can be hard to find but I'm reading good things about all of them. Hopefully the competition between manufacturers for the chassis rifle market will help em all keep improving as well as continue to bring the prices down.
    Yep the water just keeps getting a little muddier :) lots of different features to compare.

Dingo and Boogerhook like this.
  9. cmshoot

cmshoot ODT Junkie!

45   0

Rating
    100%
    If you get a chance to try before you buy, it's a good idea. The chassis systems are very flexible in terms of options/mods/upgrades, and are usually an easy way to upgrade a rifle to a DBM.

With that said, I personally don't see me owning one. I don't like pistol grips on bolt action rifles. I either grip them "properly", which slows me down when I run the bolt; or a use some bastardized half-grip which feels awkward to me.

That's just for me personally. If they work for you, then I highly recommend them.

I prefer the Manners T2A, or McMillan A5 stocks, but I'm a bit old-fashioned like that.

Dingo likes this.
  10. Burdy

Burdy ODT Co-Founder

69   0

Owner
    Rating
    100%
    Here is the RPR competitor that's set to change the game in that price bracket: Bergara BMP

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

cmshoot likes this.