• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Rusty pistol barrel-- cheapest solution for refinish?

kuduman

Default rank <4000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
51   0
Reaction score
OK, so I screwed up. Tossed a rusty Hi-Standard .22 barrel in a jar of Evaporust to get rid of some corrosion. Forgetting that it strips blueing.... So now I have a non-rusty, but unprotected, barrel for a gun that's worth very little, even when de-rusted.

What's the cheapest solution? I'm not going to set up a blueing shop in my kitchen... So... Cold blue it myself? Commercial blueing? Cera-kote?

Advice appreciated.

Thanks.

rust blue it!
That looks really time consuming, to do right.

The problem with spray paint though is I fear that the mating parts won't with the paint layer. If the paint rubs off in those contact areas, then there's the issue of rust returning. But since those areas won't get sweat on them... maybe that's OK.

No damp cabinets or long rusting periods required to get top-quality, good-looking blues and browns. Heat gun or part to 150°-200° F. with the oven in your kitchen; swab on solution, and card with soft wire wheel or fine steel wool (while wife is at work) on the table in kitchen. Brown #2 gives excellent brown without boiling water; boil for dark brown/black.
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...ening-browning/express-brown-2-prod41671.aspx

Back
Top Bottom