• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

S&W M&P 22 Compact

There's two iterations of the M&P .22. The first "full" size was outsourced and made I think by Walther who makes great firearms.....except for rimfires. They had some problems with that model. Next, Smith brought out the M&P Compact and it is made in-house by Smith in the U.S. I believe all of them come with a threaded barrel with a thread protector. You have to get the adaptor separate to run a suppressor. This gun is very easy to field strip and clean and has been flawless across multiple brands and weights of ammo. I'm a Ruger rimfire guy so my default was to add a SR22 to my line up as a trainer but wanted to remain objective in the process so I considered several options but kept ending up between these two. Ultimately the M&P won out and I have been thoroughly impressed with it. It's a newer gun for me but already has close to 1,000 round count. Any negative reviews are probably referring to the original not the compact.
I have a full size M&P22 with over 3000 rounds through it, most shooting Steel Challenge. What are these problems you’re referencing?

I have a full size M&P22 with over 3000 rounds through it, most shooting Steel Challenge. What are these problems you’re referencing?
I don't know what the specific problems were or how wide spread they were. I just know that was the motivation to bring out the newer compact model as well as bringing production back in house. That was from a Smith rep. Don't know if he worked directly for S&W or was a contract rep. Glad yours is awesome. I have certainly loved the compact model.

I have the M&P full size, because it fits my holster and I can train with it. I'm on my third one. I put 50 to 70 thousand rounds through the first two. Sent them to Smith for repairs. They just laughed and sent me a brand new one both times.
Holy cow that's impressive....

I don't know what the specific problems were or how wide spread they were. I just know that was the motivation to bring out the newer compact model as well as bringing production back in house. That was from a Smith rep. Don't know if he worked directly for S&W or was a contract rep. Glad yours is awesome. I have certainly loved the compact model.
The Compact was never a replacement for the full size, it is an alternative. It's not just mine that's awesome. ;)

11 Today Image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom