• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Safe selection: How " SAFE" is your safe from thieves?

I talked to a guy the other day that had his safe stolen. It was bolted to wall and floor. They cut the wall out with a chainsaw and pushed the safe over pulling up the floor bolts and to add insult to injury they put the safe on a dolly and ran it threw his kitchen door on to a pick up. Gone in less than 15 mins.

My thoughts have always been that if you can get past my perimeter cameras, alarm system, 4 dogs, deadbolts and into my locked safe, then you can have whats in it because you deserve it.

Exactly my thoughts! Well besides the perimeter cameras and 4 dogs. I've got a pretty *****y cat though! lol

I talked to a guy the other day that had his safe stolen. It was bolted to wall and floor. They cut the wall out with a chainsaw and pushed the safe over pulling up the floor bolts and to add insult to injury they put the safe on a dolly and ran it threw his kitchen door on to a pick up. Gone in less than 15 mins.

Dave, that's why you get a safe that BARELY fits through the door. :D

To be totally honest, I use a very small safe hidden in the last place any thief would look and have it bolted in using a steel plate as a backer. I just keep all the slides/barrels for my pistols and bolts for my rifles and shotgun locked in it (minus my EDC CCW). I then have all the stripped rifles chained up in the closet. Extreme, I know, but I don't have room for a large safe in my tiny house right now and this is the best I can do. I figure if they want it that badly they're going to get it anyway. They do have to get past my Rottie though, and she doesn't like strangers... at all.

It's also good to not leave your safe in the open. Conceal it in a closet, behind a hidden wall, just where it can't be seen, cause what they can't see they won't get.

or put it front and center and hide your guns elsewhere :)

my safe is bolted down and is behind a monitored alarm system. i am going to get a phone call within 30 seconds of the breach and your clock starts ticking. i also have great neighbors who will be getting a call from me during that first minute too that will be getting yourtag number/description/etc when you come out. you might even get your car blocked in, tires flattened, etc.

I DONT HAVE ANY TOOLS THAT WOULD BE HELPFUL PRYING, SAWING, POUNDING (crowbar, sawzall, sledge hammer) IN MY GARAGE. that stuff is in the attic. most break ins will be amatuers with limited experience/resources for this kind of thing...dont help them!!

My thoughts have always been that if you can get past my perimeter cameras, alarm system, 4 dogs, deadbolts and into my locked safe, then you can have whats in it because you deserve it.

Lol my thoughts as well. If you get past all my security features and still manage through the grace of god to get my safe to even budge... Well good for you,... You deserve it.

Not real easy. To change electronic lock combination you must know the existing combination. There is no changing the key pad...the numbers are stored in the lock not keypad. Dial locks are also difficult to open but as I tell my customers "everything is penetrable" even the best of safes. Most commercial "gun safes" UL Residential Security Containers are only 12 or now even 14 gauge steel. Very easy to go thru side wall. The safes I am now building are 2 layers of steel with 1 inch concrete between them. As others have mentioned "out of sight/hidden" is your best deterrent. SB

Back
Top Bottom