• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Safe selection: How " SAFE" is your safe from thieves?

Just a few facts about burglaries and safes
Most burglaries are quick grab and go types. If someone comes prepared to crack your safe or wheel it out of your residence then they knew it was there before breaking in. Most thug types that want in your safe aren't gonna try and crack it, they're gonna make you open it. (very dangerous)
Safes are great prevention for grab n go type crimes but other security measures are a must.

I've often wondered in today's age of instant Internet information how easy it would be for a thief, once in your home, to look up the information on your make/ model of safe to crack the combo to get in?

I know that the electronic combination safes have a certain procedure to reset the code in case you forget your combination so I was wondering if all of the same models have the same procedure to reset your combination or are they different with each safe?

I guess I would prefer a manual dial type lock, but even those can be cracked so nothing is really thief proof.

For this reason I sanded the blatant make and model logo off of the front of my safe and repainted it so it does not have any identifying marks.......just one more layer of protection in my thinking.

Just wondering how easy it would be for a thief to determine what safe you have, look up the info to go to work on your safe.
I would assume the electronic locks would be the easiest to reset a code and open like candy granted they all share the same type of reset procedure......

Your thoughts?

From the hours of research I've done all the electronic safes I"ve looked at Stack-On, Field and Stream, Cannon. They have a backup key, not a resetting procedure. Also I never worry that a thief is going to have the smarts to actually crack a safe. Those type dudes have bigger fish to fry than my handful of guns. If you watch any of the hundreds of safe videos on Youtube no one ever tries to "crack" the combination, they always try to pry it open.

I DONT HAVE ANY TOOLS THAT WOULD BE HELPFUL PRYING, SAWING, POUNDING (crowbar, sawzall, sledge hammer) IN MY GARAGE. that stuff is in the attic. most break ins will be amatuers with limited experience/resources for this kind of thing...dont help them!!

And then you post it up on the internet.

I have my guns in a large safe. For years I had a Monitronics monitored alarm system that was trouble free. A year ago I decided to change to a system monitored by Ellijay Telephone Company in order to give my business to a local company. ETC's system repeatedly false alarms. I have paid their technicians to repair it several times to no avail. I still have a year left on the contract and no longer set the alarm. I have had several ETC customers tell me they have the same problem. If you are with a good alarm company don't consider changing to save a few dollars.

Luckily I have several retired neighbors and stay at home moms surrounding my property....and well armed I might add.

Lots of annoying dogs, including mine that bark so much that any intruder would get very nervous of being spotted by someone and a very good chance they will.

God help the poor soul that would actually enter my house and tangle with my Belgian Malinois Shepherds....they better shoot them and fast otherwise I will have a mess to clean up when I get home.....good doggies.

If they make it past the dogs and into the safe or are brazen enough to move the safe...there is a good chance they will be met by the cops on their way out and or a neighbor with a well trained rifle/ shotgun........my neighbors live for this kind of stuff.

I am surrounded by Zimmerman's.....LOL.

Back
Top Bottom