• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Safety harness in tree stands, saved my son this morning

loadnplenty

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
197   0
Reaction score
Are there any members here that do not wear them? Was just wondering I was reading DNR Facebook page and it said they were working a hunting accident that appears to be a result of the tree stand failing.
So basically was curious. And if you don't why not. Not in an attempt to bash other members. Just wanting to know there reasons.

Last edited:
I wear one but my buddy does not.

The main reasonis that its another expense and he is set in his ways from hunting without one for many, many years although he has mentioned many times that he should get one.

Christmas is right around the corner but I was thinking of getting him one for an early Christmas present....safety first.

Climbing - always
Ladder- almost never
It's pretty difficult to try to climb a ladder while keeping a harness attached. I always use a ladder that has a pull rope so that I have both hands on ladder. I think it's the transition that 's the most dangerous. When you get to where you want to be with your climber and go to turn around and settle in or when you're at the top of the ladder getting in or out. Having both hands free and no gun on your shoulder is a must. There are a bunch of members of my club who don't use them. I hope and pray I never have to go find someone crumpled up at the bottom of a tree.

In my younger years no
Now always. I don't feel right now without one on.

If you want another Reason to wear one I'll post pics of what can happen.
I meet a guy recently who fell 30 feet and i asked for his promission to take pics of the xrays i did. I was in there when they did the surgery and italked to him later the next day about it.
Its not a pretty sight.

When I was younger I read the story of the guy from GON who fell broke his back and died. I've wore one ever since.

Last edited:
That there guys is what a complete new ankle looks like.

img.photobucket.com_albums_v716_cwhotrod311_20130924_094811.jpg

img.photobucket.com_albums_v716_cwhotrod311_20130924_094845.jpg

Keep those tree teeth sharpened on your climbers too.....dull tree teeth vs sharp make a big difference when it comes to gripping the tree.
Stay away from very loose bark trees and ones with a bumpy, hard Teflon like bark.

Back
Top Bottom