• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Safety harness in tree stands, saved my son this morning

I have never worn one..If I feel slightly sleepy on the stand I get down and catach a wink or 2 at the base of the tree.That being said I do recommend them to all hunters.

I don't wear one because I never have. I believe it keeps me more aware of what I am doing and what's going on around me if I have to actively make sure I'm in a safe position and not about to fall out of the stand. When I first started hunting, it was years before I ever heard of a tree stand safety harness. Most of my stands have rails on the side and aren't that easy to fall out of anyway. If it makes you feel better/safer, by all means wear one. I currently spend about 80% of my time hunting from natural ground blinds and I'm not spending that much money on something I've never needed and would only use about 20% of the time I hunt.

I wear one with a climber but not in my fixed stand only because I have it wrapped and if I did fall out I would land in the privet bushes instantly. I also shortened my stand by 2 feet for more stability.

Climbers absolutely ,fixed stands, it depends on the construction of the fixed stand if I wear one or not.

Always, always, always....better to have and not need than to need and not have. Life is short and precious. MO

My uncle fell while climbing down from his stand back in '94. Broke his back and has been in a wheelchair ever since. Nobody knew where he was. He didn't tell anyone he was hunting. He laid there for 23 hours. We finally found him and had to carry him 1/2 mile out of the woods on a stretcher where a life chopper was waiting on him. It is no fun to go through such a thing. He was lying face down when we found him. I'll never forget the way he yelled when we turned him over to get him on that stretcher.

I will wear a harness when I'm in a climber. I never hunt more than 10-15 feet up. I hunt more on the ground.

Glad your son is OK. Anyone that can sleep so soundly in a stand should only hunt on the ground. What was his reaction when you finally got him awake?

My uncle fell while climbing down from his stand back in '94. Broke his back and has been in a wheelchair ever since. Nobody knew where he was. He didn't tell anyone he was hunting. He laid there for 23 hours. We finally found him and had to carry him 1/2 mile out of the woods on a stretcher where a life chopper was waiting on him. It is no fun to go through such a thing. He was lying face down when we found him. I'll never forget the way he yelled when we turned him over to get him on that stretcher.

I will wear a harness when I'm in a climber. I never hunt more than 10-15 feet up. I hunt more on the ground.

Glad your son is OK. Anyone that can sleep so soundly in a stand should only hunt on the ground. What was his reaction when you finally got him awake?

He was up late the night before. And he had been taking meds for allergies, however he had taken his daytime before we left. He was dumb founded when he woke up. Then he tried to play it off after I told him what happened.

Back
Top Bottom