• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Safety harness in tree stands, saved my son this morning

I haven't ha much time to look at this thread since I started it due to hunting. But this morning the $80 I spent on my sons harness saved his life I feel. He fell asleep in a 14 foot ladder stand. It's a double so he was right beside me. He is not a morning person so when he fell asleep I dint think much of it other then he was quiet and not moving. All that changed when he leaned forward asleep and went head first out of the stand. I grabbed his safety strap which did nothing more then break his fall. He didn't even wake up. I had to call his name frantically before he responded. He was hanging there asleep. He never even woke up when he swung into the ladder!!!

So far that's the only thing that has happened to him that has truly scared the hell out me as a parent!!!had he not had on the harness there would have been nothing more me to grab onto much less stop him from falling!!!

Glad your son is OK.

I make my boys wear theirs religiously. If they don't have it, they don't climb.

That being said, I have never worn one. I know I should, and I even bought a nice one with the vest three years ago. For whatever reason I can never remember to take it with me. After reading this thread I have laid it out with my bibs and coat, I plan to put it on before I leave the house.

Yes he is ok, my heart skipped a beat or two lol. I have always worn a harness religiously. When my wife worked at the bank a coworker of hers, husband fell out of his stand in Greene Co. He broke his neck. He lived a miserable existence until he died two years later of pneumonia.

I kinda look at as personal choice with people, kinda like a helmet with motorcycle riders.

I don't wear one. But that being said I know my physical abilities and I have a lot of experience falling/jumping from high places. (used to paint houses and trim trees) I think they are like bike helmets. None of us ever wore one as a kid and now they're legally required in a lot of places. I do always were a bike helmet though. Glad your son had one on! If I had the propensity to sleep in a tree I would use one for sure.

Yes he is ok, my heart skipped a beat or two lol. I have always worn a harness religiously. When my wife worked at the bank a coworker of hers, husband fell out of his stand in Greene Co. He broke his neck. He lived a miserable existence until he died two years later of pneumonia.

I kinda look at as personal choice with people, kinda like a helmet with motorcycle riders.

Glad to hear your boy is O.K. -- A friend of mine fell out of a rotten homemade ladder stand the day after Christmas 5 or 6 years ago, and broke his back. In constant pain since. Shepard clinic and Mayo couldn't fix him. Will be confined to a wheel chair for the rest of his life. YEAH, IT IS A PERSONAL CHOICE, but it could affect others......(family).....and that's selfish or stupid or both!

Back
Top Bottom