• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Savage support?...

Clintstone

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
40   0
Reaction score
I got aSavage 10 BA Stealth in 308 a while back and I finally got a chance to start shooting it. Started with hornady 165 SST which shot really well...when I tried 168gr SMK Federal Gold Cup Match and it will not fit in the gun... upon trying to close the bolt the bullet jammed in the lands and got stuck... I was able to bump the round out ... what a mess... the 175 also would not fit... after comparing the stealth to my other Savage the max OAL is 2.16 on the Stealth with the 175gr SMK... and my FCP-k has a max AOL 2.219... that is .059 shorter... has anyone seen this before? I spoke with Savage support and the turn around is about 3 weeks... I gave them the info and I could not get them to tell me if this was covered or not... I reload but not sure how I feel about a factory gun that does not allow you to shoot factory ammo.
I tried to talk to support about getting another barrel and it seemed they had no interest in talking with me about that... Has anyone had a similar issue?

Does this seem like an issue to you?

Yeah, Savage should fix this. Any .308 bolt rifle that won't work with Federal Gold Medal 168 gr. match ammo is a "defective" rifle.

I got a lemon from savage in December of last year --a Savage 64F (.22LR semi-auto, 10-shot clip magazine).

I sent it back, and earlier this month Savage replaced it with a brand-new gun of the same model.
The new one works great.

I spoke to support and just did not get the warm fuzzies ... I have a gun smith that can fix the problem for $100... I am not sure I want Savage to have my rifle for months... I thought about buying a 24" barrel anyway... for now I am gonna reload for the rifle until I have time to follow up with Savage... I have several friends in their distribution group who I have reached out to.

I spoke to support and just did not get the warm fuzzies ... I have a gun smith that can fix the problem for $100... I am not sure I want Savage to have my rifle for months... I thought about buying a 24" barrel anyway... for now I am gonna reload for the rifle until I have time to follow up with Savage... I have several friends in their distribution group who I have reached out to.

Months? Thought you said 3 weeks.

I've seen numerous problems with Savage rifles over the years, always seems to be an issue with a bad barrel or headspace. Send it back and have Savage fix it.

I ended having the gun smith use a reamer to lengthen the freebore between .050 - .070 ... this is optimal for what I want to load... before changing the freebore the powder started crunching around 42.2 gr... now I can go all the way to 45gr without any powder crunching... in fact it just starts to compress... I start testing loads today and pretty happy with results. I found the center of a node around 44.4gr of Varget but I was able to go up to 45gr with no issues of pressure or crunching when seating the bullet. Very happy with the rifle.

Attachments

• IMG_4828.JPG
    IMG_4828.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4831.JPG
    IMG_4831.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 12
Months? Thought you said 3 weeks.

I've seen numerous problems with Savage rifles over the years, always seems to be an issue with a bad barrel or headspace. Send it back and have Savage fix it.

After talking with Savage the turn around was going to be 6 weeks...

The main reason I wanted to use my gun smith was because after struggling to find a load I knew what I wanted and Savage really did not want to talk about that... so I wanted to get back to enjoying my new rifle... great rifle I am probably to picky... I can now use factory ammo although I load my own most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom