• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Savage support?...

Sounds like it could have been short chambered, should be easily fixed and returned. Let us know how it was fixed, and how long it took...

Took it to my gun smith and it was back in my hands in 4 days... Rifle is shooting very well and I have a pretty good load developed already...

2670fps with 175gr SMK and 44.4gr Varget.

For the record Savage was going to look at the gun and fix if they thought it needed anything... but I wanted the free bore set at a specific number so I let my gun smith open it up .070 and I can load what I want now and factory ammo fits the rifle also.

I had a few other things done and he only charged $150.00 ... Support Your Gun Smith :-)

Which one are you talking about???
Which one the owner, the gun smith, or savage, if you are saying the factory savage smiths, they will know...
I doubt the Smiths will care if the chamber is cleaned up to fix a bad gun from the factory. Unless the repair directly caused a future malfunction I don't see why they they would even look there.

The gun is shooting great now... I found 2 nice loads in about an hour and factory ammo is now working very well also...the next rifle will be a custom rifle built by the same gun smith... Not trying to start a debate but I doubt if savage would have corrected the problem as I wanted... I tried to talk to them and they were not interested in talking to me as they just wanted the gun... without telling me what they would do to fix the problem if the gun was as I said... I wanted a specific free bore as I wanted my rounds to also fit in the magazine lol... let's face it... in no way should a factory Blue printed gun make it out with a problem like I had... just saying... I am very happy with the riffle now and I have several Savage rifles with no issues... love the rifles and they all shoot great...now I can also load hi BC bullets and stay in the mag... shot some great groups this weekend. Targets have 1/2 squares for reference... I remounted scope and shot a 4 shot group on orange paper and a 3 shot group on the white paper. 300 yards on white and 100 on the orange. Even shot steel at 400 and then a friend jacked my paint...2 shot right lower chest was my buddies riffle... mine was the eyes and nose... then 2 center of neck and my buddy shot my riffle neck upper right.

Again not bad mouthing Savage but I wanted to make sure my rifle was fixed without the free bore being ruined by opening to much.

Attachments

• IMG_1429.JPG
    IMG_1429.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4847.JPG
    IMG_4847.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4848.JPG
    IMG_4848.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 5
Yeah, Savage should fix this. Any .308 bolt rifle that won't work with Federal Gold Medal 168 gr. match ammo is a "defective" rifle.

I got a lemon from savage in December of last year --a Savage 64F (.22LR semi-auto, 10-shot clip magazine).

I sent it back, and earlier this month Savage replaced it with a brand-new gun of the same model.
The new one works great.

This ^ it's the gold standard. Something is astray.

Back
Top Bottom