• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Savage support?...

Took it to my gun smith and it was back in my hands in 4 days... Rifle is shooting very well and I have a pretty good load developed already...

2670fps with 175gr SMK and 44.4gr Varget.

For the record Savage was going to look at the gun and fix if they thought it needed anything... but I wanted the free bore set at a specific number so I let my gun smith open it up .070 and I can load what I want now and factory ammo fits the rifle also.

I had a few other things done and he only charged $150.00 ... Support Your Gun Smith :-)

Just got to loosen that barrel nut (specific tool) and back it out a few thousands and seat the barrel nut to torque standards.

The Savage is an amazing platform. Too easy to adjust and the floating bolt makes it one less issue to resolve.

Yesterday I shot my 20-year old Savage model 10 in .243 -- after one fouling shot at 25 yards, I went all the back to 200 yards and got a 1.25" group (3 shots) from an improvised rest-- prone, rifle fore-end across my range bag and folded-up rifle case.

Then my friend brought out his Savage Axis (new, with Accu-Trigger) in .308.
I borrowed his rifle and, with cheap Russian steel-cased ammo, shot a nice little triangle of holes about 1.75" apart at 200 yards. Also off the range bag, prone, no sandbags.

I'll bet from a real bench rest, these rifles would shoot even better.

Just got to loosen that barrel nut (specific tool) and back it out a few thousands and seat the barrel nut to torque standards.

The Savage is an amazing platform. Too easy to adjust and the floating bolt makes it one less issue to resolve.

Hey thnks for your input... I was going to adjust the headspacing as you described but the tolerance on that from what I could tell was about .004 and I needed .070 so would not have gotten me there. I like the Savage rifles but I will admit I will take my gauges with me the next time I shop for one lol.

Back
Top Bottom