• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SBR Lower only?

19 Kilo

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
94   0
Reaction score
I asked this in another thread, but thought I'd ask here too.

Can you SBR a complete lower without an upper on it?

I know a guy that started the process with only a lower, but has now been told that he has to buy an upper and declare a caliber.

What say you dealers?

he can have it engraved in what ever caliber he wants&#8230;.

I submitted my SBR and it had "multi" on it&#8230;.a buddy bought the same lower, marked the same way&#8230;his went through, mine got kicked out and had to be engraved 5.56&#8230;.so it says "Multi" on the side and "Cal 5.56" under the trigger guard..

You would have to. If you built it first that would be illegal.. You do have to provide overall length on the form 1

I asked this in another thread, but thought I'd ask here too.

Can you SBR a complete lower without an upper on it?

I know a guy that started the process with only a lower, but has now been told that he has to buy an upper and declare a caliber.

What say you dealers?

In order to fill out the paperwork properly you need to at least know what length barrel and caliber you intend to register. Without a barrel under 16" you just have a rifle. With a built Lee you just have a built rifle, but not necessarily a short barreled rifle.

Yes…righter13 is correct….

I started my paper work before I even had an upper built…but I knew the barrel and all I wanted…and built (and paid) for the upper while I waited on the lower to come back…

What really sucks is going to your Class III dealer and seeing this awesome gun sitting in HIS safe that YOU paid for……..and the wait….but it was worth it…

photo copy.jpg

he can have it engraved in what ever caliber he wants&#8230;.I submitted my SBR and it had "multi" on it&#8230;.a buddy bought the same lower, marked the same way&#8230;his went through, mine got kicked out and had to be engraved 5.56&#8230;.so it says "Multi" on the side and "Cal 5.56" under the trigger guard..

:noidea: You MUST declare a caliber on the form 1, you cannot put multi. It will get kicked back. I know some have been approved that way but it is not supposed to. You do not engrave a caliber on your lower. Just your name, city and state. If you used a trust you must engrave the name of the trust, the city and the state.

I have multiple SBR form 1s in process right now. I had Dobbs defense engrave two of them today. This is what they look like.

[Broken External Image]:

Mine will be used with 22 LR uppers, 5.56 uppers, 9mm uppers, and possibly a 300 BLK. Once the stamp comes back you can change the upper all you want.

If you permanently alter the barrel length, caliber, etc. you must notify the ATF so they can update the registry.

Just FYI, it is not possible to permanently alter the barrel length since you could alway buy another barrel in the original length. The only time it would come into play is if you were going to sell the SBR since it has to match what they have on file before they will transfer. That said, who would buy a used SBR unless it was REALLY cheap? I'm not paying for a gun with somebody else's name on it.

Agree with NWSharpshooter&#8230;..I was not as detailed as I should have been&#8230;I would SUGGEST NOT going with Multi&#8230;I was just illustrating that it is kinda up to the person reviewing it..going with a caliber and you are good&#8230;

Thats what I get for multitasking&#8230;.

I got enough info on what I need. The guy needs a caliber and barrel length for the paperwork, but the dealer will not start the paperwork until the gun is complete as it is written.

I don't do SBR's, it just sounded strange that the deal would change mid stream to me. Sounds like some wires got crossed somewhere.

I got enough info on what I need. The guy needs a caliber and barrel length for the paperwork, but the dealer will not start the paperwork until the gun is complete as it is written.I don't do SBR's, it just sounded strange that the deal would change mid stream to me. Sounds like some wires got crossed somewhere.
Why would you buy the SBR from a dealer. If the dealer is building the SBR he engraves it, not you. The owner of the SBR isn't who engraves the gun, the builder is.

Any you don't need a dealer to build a SBR. You can file or efile (if you have a trust) the form 1 yourself. That's what i did. The only advantage of buying an SBR from a dealer is you don't have to engrave anything as you are not the builder.

If the dealer builds the gun, you would buy it on a form 4 and not a form 1. Your form 4 will be whatever info the dealer put on his form 1 when he built it.

Back
Top Bottom