• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SBR question?

If you purchase an sbr you have to fill out an ATF form 4, if you want to shorten a carbine you need to fill out an ATF form 1, either one you'll have to pay $200 with your application, then wait about 6-8 months to receive your tax stamp. If you're manufacturing (form 1) you need to absolutely make sure you don't have it complete or have the parts to complete it until you receive the stamp

And if your doing a Form 1 (where you assemble/manufacture/make/build) your SBR you need to have the lower receiver engraved with NFA information.

Either way, you'll need 2 sets of fingerprints ($15 at sherriff's office) and 2 passport photo's ($15 at Walgreen's) in addition to the $200 tax stamp. If you are purchasing it as an SBR a lot of local gun shops will provide these services for you (some will charge some won't). If you are building and send in a form 1, your check will cash immediately upon receipt but it'll be at least 6 months before you hear anything...

So, if I buy an AR pistol and want to make it into a SBR by adding a stock, I file the form 1 along with the photos, etc. Then after I receive the stamp I can buy and install a stock, but I can't be in possession of the stock before the stamp is issued? Correct? Also, how do I get the lower engraved? What info goes on the lower?

Thanks again!

So, if I buy an AR pistol and want to make it into a SBR by adding a stock, I file the form 1 along with the photos, etc. Then after I receive the stamp I can buy and install a stock, but I can't be in possession of the stock before the stamp is issued? Correct? Also, how do I get the lower engraved? What info goes on the lower?

Thanks again!

Yep, you got it.
And that's the way I'd go about getting an AR pattern SBR myself-- by a factory standard AR "handgun" and test it, make sure it's reliable, and then register it as an SBR. Then get a stock for it, and plan on getting it engraved with your info as the "manufacturer" of this weapon (which is legally not considered a "rifle" anymore).

Gentlemen, thank you for helping me understand the process. I think it would be interesting to own an SBR, especially in a pistol caliber, but a part of me doesn't want to do it because of the Feds knowing that I'm a firearms enthusiast.

I'm going to have to think on this subject. Again, thank you for clarifying the process for me.

Gentlemen, thank you for helping me understand the process. I think it would be interesting to own an SBR, especially in a pistol caliber, but a part of me doesn't want to do it because of the Feds knowing that I'm a firearms enthusiast.

I'm going to have to think on this subject. Again, thank you for clarifying the process for me.

They already know you like guns.
1. I'm sure you have done a 4473
2. Your on ODT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They already know you like guns.
1. I'm sure you have done a 4473
2. Your on ODT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably has a carry permit as well. So you're already listed as an enthusiast. Heres some SBR goodness to push you in that direction:

i36.photobucket.com_albums_e15_SNSPerformance_Guns_fd73e12a_ca27ae7d14c28fe0eb0501116e697a151f.jpg

i36.photobucket.com_albums_e15_SNSPerformance_Guns_8d590f22_52b7194fdd96e49fb889ec0f05c5c103cb.jpg

i36.photobucket.com_albums_e15_SNSPerformance_Guns_20150617_111859_zpsw8gdfwma.jpg

Back
Top Bottom