• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SC Gov Nikki Haley Got a Handgun From Santa for Being a Good Girl

http://www.heraldonline.com/2013/12/27/5534337/sc-gov-nikki-haleys-christmas.html

“Everything is about politics with her. Everything,” state Democratic Party director Amanda Loveday tweeted.

The Facebook post received nearly 15,000 likes and 1,700 comments in less than 10 hours. Social media burst with mini-debates about guns, though a majority of the comments approved Haley’s gift.

Haley’s sharing her love for firearms is a way of demonstrating the state’s gun friendliness to manufacturers, Citadel political scientist Scott Buchanan said. South Carolina is wooing arms makers from states with stricter gun laws. Beretta operates a plant in Maryland.

Jeers

“Shame on you for telling children that a weapon is an appropriate gift from Santa. Bad parenting. It perpetuates violence and makes it look "cool’.”

“You’re a governor, not a police officer or soldier. What reason do you have for a gun?!”

“No problem with the gift, but it’s just redneck for a public figure to post about her Christmas gift. I almost posted about what my husband gave me, but didn’t want to mess up the day for someone less fortunate.”

haters

I agree that it's a right. You're welcome to keep and own as many as you'd like at home. But when you're travelling, in public, I'd prefer that you've proven that you're somewhat competent with the firearm, especially in handling and safety. I know a lot of people whom I'd rather they not handle / carry. I guess I'm not as conservative when it come to that.
You think? When one of the biggest liberals on this site gets it clearly.... yeah.... you're not doing it right (at all).

As long as there are qualifications attached to RIGHTS, there won't be any rights. We all take risks when dealing with the public, be it in our cars, trusting that some schmuck won't push us in front of the train at the train station, or whatever. That's part of it. There aren't positives without the potential for some negatives.

What you are proposing is turning a right into a privilege, like driving.

Back
Top Bottom