• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Scary Trade Today....

Well I just posted in a thread asking what the scariest or memorable trade was... My experiences have been wonderful up until today....

I am not leaving any feedback for this trader because it would link this person to the trade.. So her it goes..
Picked up an AR10 today.. The trader handed me it with the bolt closed and the weapon on fire. Yeah.. I think you know where this is going.....

I immediately placed it on safe. Pushed the back take down pin out to lift up the upper and pull out the Bolt to examine wear.. The bolt didn't budge. Pulled all the way back on the charging handle and WHAM out comes a live round....

The funniest part is the guy reaches into my tailgate and grabs the live round.. Puts it in his pocket.

It was freakin scary for a second.. I go thru a mental checklist every time I look at my weapon or anyone else's..
I handed him his money and no words were exchanged.. I share this because it's easy to break one's protocol during the excitement of looking at a weapon you may purchase...

This one could have been really costly..

Maybe he is just a 1911 guy.........:fear:

Well I just posted in a thread asking what the scariest or memorable trade was... My experiences have been wonderful up until today....

I am not leaving any feedback for this trader because it would link this person to the trade.. So her it goes..
Picked up an AR10 today.. The trader handed me it with the bolt closed and the weapon on fire. Yeah.. I think you know where this is going.....

I immediately placed it on safe. Pushed the back take down pin out to lift up the upper and pull out the Bolt to examine wear.. The bolt didn't budge. Pulled all the way back on the charging handle and WHAM out comes a live round....

The funniest part is the guy reaches into my tailgate and grabs the live round.. Puts it in his pocket.

It was freakin scary for a second.. I go thru a mental checklist every time I look at my weapon or anyone else's..
I handed him his money and no words were exchanged.. I share this because it's easy to break one's protocol during the excitement of looking at a weapon you may purchase...

Wow, it could have been worse. But, the first thing we learn when we are handed a Weapon is treat it as it's Loaded. I just have taught my son's and nephew 's this over a thousand times, but it happens at a gun show my son handed one of the Cops who checks weapon, a gun with the barrell pointed at him, I yanked it out of my son's hand, the Cop looked at me and said thank you.

As a courtesy when I hand someone a firearm I tend to work the action/lock the bolt/slide back to show it is unloaded. Or open the cylinder on a revolver. Unless it's at a M&G and we're standing in a circle and it's been fondled for the fifth time and hasn't left my sight. And then I still do it half the time.
^^^^^^^This!!!^^^^^^^

GLAD YOU HAD THE SENSE TO CHECK. IF THE TRADER IS READING THIS YOUR LUKY THIS TIME AN THERE SHOULDN'T BE ANOTHER TIME.

As a courtesy when I hand someone a firearm I tend to work the action/lock the bolt/slide back to show it is unloaded. Or open the cylinder on a revolver. Unless it's at a M&G and we're standing in a circle and it's been fondled for the fifth time and hasn't left my sight. And then I still do it half the time.

I try to do this, but no one's perfect. On a recent deal, when I cleared the pistol before handing it over for inspection, there was a snap cap in the chamber. As I said, no one's perfect, but safety first.

I HAVE A FRIEND WHO OWNS A PAWN SHOP AND ABOUT ONCE A YEAR I GET SEVERAL HUNDRED ROUNDS OF ASSORTED AMMO IN A CARDBOARD BOX ! HE SAYS IT COMES FROM UNLOADED GUNS PEOPLE BRING IN TO SELL OR PAWN. EVEN BROUGHT TWO BLACK POWDER REVOLVERS HOME TO SHOOT THE LOADS OUT OF CYLINDER AND CLEAN FOR HIM COUPLE YEARS AGO THAT WERE BROUGHT INTO SELL LOADED. YOU NEVER KNOW ! ALWAYS CHECK AND RECHECK !

Back
Top Bottom