• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

School ground within 500 ft of Workplace

To be clear..............there is nothing in O.C.G.A. 16-11-126 that exempts you for carry/possession within a SSZ.

You have to have a GWCL to legally possess a weapon/handgun within a School Safety Zone. If you are within a School Safety Zone with a gun in your car and you do not have a GWCL, you are breaking the law.

The exemption for ordinary citizens to be within a School Safety Zone (O.C.G.A. 16-11-127.1) with a weapon is their GWCL. Their are other exemptions for other people in the code too.

Being legal to own a gun(and not having a GWCL) is not a exemption for legal carry/possession inside of your vehicle while within the boundaries of a School Safety Zone.

What about the vehicle being an extension of your home? Sure is confusing!

Last edited:
The State of Georgia has no measurement for a SSZ now. So you have to be on the real property to be within the SSZ according to the State.

The Federal Law is a whole nother animal. It says within a 1000 feet of school property.

So are you saying everyone with a gun in their car driving through a school zone is breaking the law? What about houses with gun in them that are on the same road within the school zone?
1coolhand,

Driving onto a school's property with a "weapon" in your vehicle without a GWCL is illegal for the everyday citizen according to Georgia Law and Federal Law.

Private Property/Houses can't really be in SSZ any more, mainly because the State has taken the "So many feet from a school's property" language out of the Georgia code. But (d)(1) still covers people who do not have a GWCL.

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-127.1
Carrying weapons within school safety zones, at school functions, or on school property

(a) As used in this Code section, the term:

(1) "School safety zone" means in or on any real property owned by or leased to any public or private elementary school, secondary school, or school board and used for elementary or secondary education and in or on the campus of any public or private technical school, vocational school, college, university, or institution of postsecondary education.

(d)(1) This Code section shall not prohibit any person who resides or works in a business or is in the ordinary course transacting lawful business or any person who is a visitor of such resident located within a school safety zone from carrying, possessing, or having under such person's control a weapon within a school safety zone; provided, however, it shall be unlawful for any such person to carry, possess, or have under such person's control while at a school building or school function or on school property, a school bus, or other transportation furnished by the school any weapon or explosive compound, other than fireworks the possession of which is regulated by Chapter 10 of Title 25.

Last edited:
1coolhand,

Driving onto a school's property with a "weapon" in your vehicle without a GWCL is illegal for the everyday citizen according to Georgia Law and Federal Law.

Private Property/Houses can't really be in SSZ any more, mainly because the State has taken the "So many feet from a school's property" language out of the Georgia code. But (d)(1) still covers people who do not have a GWCL.

Thanks,
Now I understand. Good info ! Thanks for clarifying.

Sorry it took a while for me to get back. I do have a GWCL. and I am across the street. Sounds like to me I am COMPLETELY in the clear. Thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom