• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

School Me on Solar Generators

Granite3

Army Icon Supporter
King of Battle
417   0
Reaction score
Looking to pick one up, need to run my truck fridge and maybe some lights, tiny heater, and recharge some stuff.

500 W looks too small, thinking a 1000W is the ticket, with a solar panel, car charger, and A/C charger.

Leaning toward Lion, do want Lithium Ion or Iron, not lead acid.

School is open, pontificate away!

I have a small Jackery that I've had zero issues with. Whatever you go with, double check that the outlets are capable of putting out the power for your devices. It might be a 1000W unit, but the 120V outlets may not be able to put out that much. And it might vary from similar units from the same maker.

Where I work we sale gas generators. I think with the solar panel thing, you just need to have a bunch of batteries, not a generator. We just installed HVAC system in a new construction house, in which the homeowner is using a roof system by “Tesla”; the entire roof or shingles are solar panels(no asphalt shingles). In the basement he will have his shelves of many batteries.

If you think you need 1000w you need Double that. When that heater and fridge kick on and run at the same time they will cause a strain on the system. Possibly pop a breaker/overload your generator. There is a difference between max and running watts. If your system can handle more wattage it will run more efficiently.

Yea, my fridge is the DC type, the 45 QT cooler that cools. my heater is 250 watts max.

Seems most of the Jackery's run lead acid, not as efficient as the Li-ion or Li- iron batterys.

You're not going to he running much heat off of camper solar. Look into the Chinese mini diesel furnaces or a Propex. Heaters are basically a dead short electrically. Even a tiny decent heater will be upwards of 1000w CONSTANT draw.

Yea, my fridge is the DC type, the 45 QT cooler that cools. my heater is 250 watts max.

Seems most of the Jackery's run lead acid, not as efficient as the Li-ion or Li- iron batterys.

All the ones I've seen are Li-ion. Check out Bluetti, Goalzero and Eco-flow. Not used any of those, but have heard good things.

You're not going to he running much heat off of camper solar. Look into the Chinese mini diesel furnaces or a Propex. Heaters are basically a dead short electrically. Even a tiny decent heater will be upwards of 1000w CONSTANT draw.

I'm pretty sure most campers have propane heat so it's just the blower that uses electricity.

Back
Top Bottom