• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

School safety zone question.

republican

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
32   0
Reaction score
Ga. law states that it is unlawful to enter a "School Safety Zone" or to attend a "School Function" with a weapon. You my enter the "Zone" armed if you are picking up or dropping off a student or have a weapon locked in your vehicle in the parking lot however you must be in possesion of a valid weapons license.
Is the school building inside the "School Safety Zone" ?
Are associated buildings such as the bus shop, school supply depot or the Board of Education buildings inside a "School Safety Zone" ?
Would it be unlawful to carry on a school bus for non school related purposes such as maintenance or emergency evacuation use (i.e. hurricane or wildfire) ?

Unless your LEO, all BOE property is "zone" from what I'm told and a school bus is an extension of the classroom, don't know under evacuation circumstances. I have asked this question to several Admin types and transportation directors and all advise to leave it in your car.
Georgia Carry definitions: HB60

(1) 'Bus or other transportation furnished by a school' means a bus or other transportation227 furnished by a public or private elementary or secondary school.228 (2) 'School function' means a school function or related activity that occurs outside of a229 school safety zone and is for a public or private elementary or secondary school.230 (1)(3) 'School safety zone' means in or on any real property or building owned by or231 leased to:232 (A) Any any public or private elementary school, secondary school, or school local233 board of education and used for elementary or secondary education; and in or on the234 campus of any235 (B) Any public or private technical school, vocational school, college, university, or236 other institution of postsecondary education
GeorgiaCarry.org for more info

Our school weapons law says it applies 24/7/365, even when the school is closed, so I think it applies even when the school is temporarily being used as an emergency shelter.
I used to run 5K races, and many of those start and end on school property. I always disarmed during such visits (when I wasn't one of the 16-11-130) special people.

In many circumstances, I try to take my cue from the old pirate in "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl"...
"Them's more like guidelines"..

Back
Top Bottom