• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Scope on an AR w/ fixed A2 front sight?

Smiley

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
58   0
Reaction score
Trying to figure out the best way I can mount a scope on an AR with a fixed F marked A2 front sight and detachable carry handle. I like my carry handle and would prefer to keep it and find an ACOG but just don't want to spend $700-1k on an optic right now. So, I am faced with either swapping the A2 front sight for a new gas block with flip-up, mounting a scope on the flat top upper and having the front sight blur the optic, or mounting the scope to a carry handle adapter.

Anyone have any experience with the carry handle scope adapters? I would assume the height off the barrel would make for an interesting zero, BDC and/or elevation adjustments. I know the original ACOG TA01 was designed for the height so I guess it is a matter of calibrating your turret adjustments and BDC to fit your needs.

Another option is the Rock River Arms or Wilson Combat "tactical" carry handle. I have heard mixed reviews on this design as it doesn't truly allow for co-witness, but that is precisely what I would be looking to accomplish. The scope height being just above the front sight post so that it doesn't blur the optic, but lower than the adapter rail+rings elevation for a better zero.

If it matters the scope I am looking at is the Nikon P-223 3x32 which right now is shipping with mounts for $149. I haven't checked into the mounts but ideally I would like to be able to use the iron sights with the optic mounted, even if I have to modify (drill a hole in the mounts).

Any ideas?

I have two AR setups with the fixed front sight and have scopes mounted on both. In all honesty you don't see the sight through the scope, since it's so close to the end and usually you're using high magnification (at least 10+ magnification) and its not an issue. I see more of a problem if you were putting an ACOG or EOTech, since you would probably see the sight more in that case.

I kind of like the way the front sight post looks and would like to keep it. Ideally going for the somewhat quick attach/detach similar to the ACOG desgn. Removing the front post and going with a railed gas block and detachable A2 riser is definitely an option, keeping with the M4 look. Just trying to see what will work out for the best of both. Not really shooting long range with a 3x scope, but something fun to plink around with at 100-150yds.

Just thought about it but a 1" QD picatinny riser may be a good option. Scope can stay mounted to the riser, removed and attached pretty easy in the same place with the T-marked upper. Plus, I could use the free mounts that come with the scope. I wouldn't be able to use the Iron sights while the scope is attached, but it may just clear my front sight post and the risers can be had pretty cheap, so if it doesn't work, no big deal.

at 3x you will never see the fsb. I have a 1-4x on one of my ARs and at 1x I can see the fsb, but it does not interfere with my field of view, ( I can actually co-witness at 1x. At 2x it becomes a faint mark in the bottom part of my scope and at 3x it is gone.

Keep in mind, the center of your crosshairs will sit right on top of the front site post, so it's not like the fsb will mess with your field of view.

I think I am going to pull the trigger on the scope order and mount it up to see how I like it with the included mounts. If it works well I may get a low profile QD riser, just so it is easy to remove and replace w/ my carry handle. If I find out the front sight is in the way, I'll get the 1" riser to see if it clears it up.

The scope has a BDC Reticle so the only worry about the front post is it blurring the marks below the cross hair where I will need the clearest view to utilize. Plus if I replace the post with a night sight the light may interfere, but I doubt the reticle will be any real use in low light conditions anyhow.

Back
Top Bottom