• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Scope on an AR w/ fixed A2 front sight?

I think I am going to pull the trigger on the scope order and mount it up to see how I like it with the included mounts. If it works well I may get a low profile QD riser, just so it is easy to remove and replace w/ my carry handle. If I find out the front sight is in the way,o I'll get the 1" riser to see if it clears it up.The scope has a BDC Reticle so the only worry about the front post is it blurring the marks below the cross hair where I will need the clearest view to utilize. Plus if I replace the post with a night sight the light may interfere, but I doubt the reticle will be any real use in low light conditions anyhow.
Again, at 3x you will never see it.

Depends on the scope, FOV, and how close to the FSP the scope will be. I have a Ta01NSN on my BCM Middy and I can make out the FSP if I look for it, but the ACOG has a larger FOV then a lot of 1-4X scopes and it a short optic as well. I have a friend with a 1.25-4X Accupoint and you can't see the FSP at all at any setting. As far as raising the optic, for mine, I have run it with a spacer and yes it will limit the impact of the FSP in the optic, but it can still be there, but again only apparent at engaging at close range, and a space with an ACOG raises its own issues since it is designed to mount straight to the A3 upper. But again the times when it is most apparent is when I am engaging a target at close distances so it doesn't bother me at all really beyond about 15 meters and even then it is only at the bottom 5th of the sight picture.

I'll throw my two cents in this old thread.
I shot a friend's AR with a low-mounted scope but with the front sight base in place, and although I could see it, and it seemed to move based on my head position (parallax error), it was only a minor distraction then, with my first half-hour with that gun.

My friend said that after a while you don't even notice the front sight, and I believe him.

The scope we used was a compact variable-power scope. I'm not sure what power I shot it at. Probably 4X. I think we were shooting from 50 yards that day.

Back
Top Bottom