• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Scope recommendations

Really trying to be under $500. This SBL I just got already set me back a bit lol
I hear you buddy that's usually the case with me. I build a rifle and I just cannot build a cheap one. It's just not in my nature to put cheap parts on a rifle. I set out to build a budget rifle one time and bought a set of receivers for 225 and still ended up spending 12-1300 on the damn thing. After that it doesn't leave much in the bank for a scope so I know exactly where you're coming from. I had a Swamp Fox Arrowhead 1-8 and I loved that scope but one of the guys I built a rifle for loved it more than me and bought it.

I have a Billet chassis 6.8 SPC Wilson Combat Barrel rig. I must have put $1500 $1600 in this gun without the scope. I was broke so I just bought a Bushnell AR 308 scope to slap on there to test it and to break the Barrel in. I don't know what it is about that scope but it is super accurate and it's never lost it's zero. As a matter of fact I get more compliments about that rig all the time on how good it shoots. I've actually been ridiculed on here about it but as long as that gun shoots between a half and a quarter MOA like it does and holds zero like it does that scope is staying right where it's at. It's been on there for more that five years. To replace it and make myself look like a wanna be combat sniper would be asinine and I just don't have that big of an ego. I do about my work but not a scope. I am not a competitor or long range game hunter so It's fine for what it's doing.

I’ve had great luck with this combo on my lever guns.
A one piece DNZ game reaper scope ring mount with a Leupold Vx-2 3-9x40.

I’ve even had the Nikon pro staff which is very comparable.

Either of those two but my first pick is the Leupold for low light gathering qualities.

Make sure to clean out the threaded holes with some denatured alcohol and a swab, use loc tite on the base mount screws.
Torque the scope properly after you get your eye relief where you want it and the scope leveled.

I’ve had good luck sighting in lever guns by removing the bolt so you can see through the rifle from the rear at the bullseye.
Dialing in crosshairs to that spot and taking your first shot from that starting point.
Of course getting your rifle NOT to move during all that can be a challenge.

Usually within three shots you’ll be dialed in.

I have a late 70's 700 BDL 30-06. A wood stock with a 1/8 inch plastic butt plate. I don't know what they were thinking. Last time I shot it you could see the word Remington stamped on my shoulder. Jez that thing kicks. A 45-70 has gotta be brutal with no good thick recoil pad.
I put a muzzle break on my 45-70 and a vortex 4x12

Attachments

• B7705663-8DCB-4A03-90FB-5AE3C6FDDC77.jpeg
    B7705663-8DCB-4A03-90FB-5AE3C6FDDC77.jpeg
    498.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 83D5182F-ADC8-4374-86F7-9C95B4359C61.jpeg
    83D5182F-ADC8-4374-86F7-9C95B4359C61.jpeg
    464.4 KB · Views: 6
Back
Top Bottom