Self defense classes question:

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbw8372

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
18   0
Reaction score
Do any members know of a viable self-defense class near to Suwanee/Buford/etc.?
I have two mid-teen daughters that I would like to enroll.
Any leads are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

If you're willing to drive to Athens there is a guy there named Steve Gresham that is awesome. He is a 4th degree Kenpo black belt (20+ years) and is a Pembantu Guru in Pentjak Silat Serak (15+ years). Incredibly good at teaching, really knows how to fight, and has the kind of character you'd want to instill in your children.

Not real sure how well they could benifit from self defense classes, as they should never let anyone with in
their range/space.
Think of it like this, how many teen girls you know that could take a punch from a man?

They would do alot better to learn situation awareness and learn to constantly profile people.

But if you think that is the way to go, then research rape/abduction prevention classes.

All excellent points and I have done my best to instill those, while teaching them to shoot and use non-lethal weapons, but, I am also looking for ways they could pull away or bump and run if necessary, the right ways.
I can teach much of this, but it would probably be better shown by an "expert" which would also help instill more confidence in a working method for them.
Situational awareness and profiling takes years to master, which I am not willing to wait on nor trust.
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I personally would look for a Krav Maga class for them, it's a self defense fighting technique plus the classes are a decent cardio workout (not just standing and yelling "no!" and using one kick). It's a real world self defense: "...is a noncompetitive eclectic self-defense system developed in Israel that involves striking techniques, wrestling and grappling. Krav Maga is known for its focus on real-world situations and extremely efficient, brutal counter-attacks."

General principles include:
- Counter attacking as soon as possible (or attacking preemptively).
- Targeting attacks to the body's most vulnerable points such as the eyes, jaw, throat, groin, knee, etc.
- Neutralizing the opponent as quickly as possible by responding with an unbroken stream of counter attacks and if necessary a take down/joint break.
- Maintaining awareness of surroundings while dealing with the threat in order to look for escape routes, further attackers, objects that could be used to defend or help attack and so on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krav_Maga

Not real sure how well they could benifit from self defense classes, as they should never let anyone with in
their range/space.

Better to have the tool and not need it then to need the tool and not have it.

Think of it like this, how many teen girls you know that could take a punch from a man?

Depends on the girl, the man, the situation, the training they each have, etc etc.

And don't forget...it's not just the physical part of getting punched that hurts, right? Someone who has had physical training, has taken a punch in sparring, has had their bell rung and knows it's not the end of the world is going to have an advantage over someone who's never been in a fight, never been punched, etc. Martial arts training gives someone the ability to take a hit and keep moving instead of taking a hit and immediately deciding the fight is over and falling to the ground at their attacker's mercy.

They would do alot better to learn situation awareness and learn to constantly profile people.

And better still to learn both.

But if you think that is the way to go, then research rape/abduction prevention classes.

That would be a good idea, too, but why skip the self-defense/martial arts training? Give them as many tools as you can. The idea is that you don't know what's out there, you can't predict what's going to happen, and you can't anticipate every outcome of every situation. Given all of that, I'd think its foolish to not give your daughter every possible advantage.

I personally would look for a Krav Maga class for them, it's a self defense fighting technique plus the classes are a decent cardio workout (not just standing and yelling "no!" and using one kick). It's a real world self defense: "...is a noncompetitive eclectic self-defense system developed in Israel that involves striking techniques, wrestling and grappling. Krav Maga is known for its focus on real-world situations and extremely efficient, brutal counter-attacks."

General principles include:
- Counter attacking as soon as possible (or attacking preemptively).
- Targeting attacks to the body's most vulnerable points such as the eyes, jaw, throat, groin, knee, etc.
- Neutralizing the opponent as quickly as possible by responding with an unbroken stream of counter attacks and if necessary a take down/joint break.
- Maintaining awareness of surroundings while dealing with the threat in order to look for escape routes, further attackers, objects that could be used to defend or help attack and so on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krav_Maga

That's exactly what I was going to recommend. It's not magic, but the moves are brutal and effective. This is not your regular sport-centered Tae Kwon Do that will get you killed in a street fight.

That's exactly what I was going to recommend. It's not magic, but the moves are brutal and effective. This is not your regular sport-centered Tae Kwon Do that will get you killed in a street fight.

Be careful as not all Krav Magna schools operate on the same standards. Like any martial arts system one needs to practice it. I agree with Bioshock that they should not let anyone in their zone in the first place but that is in a perfect world. Many predators want to commit their crime as quickly as possible, fighting back slows them down and can put the odds in the victims favor.

My daughters are involved in MMA for fitness and self defense. I have seen my oldest daughter take down larger and stronger male in a sparring match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom