• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Selling Suppressors Not In-Stock?

Smiley

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
58   0
Reaction score
Is it typical for retailers to sell items they do not have in stock on GB? I would guess so, but just wondering.

I ordered a 308 can for a really good price, even called the store to make sure it included everything. Was told that everything was good and they would ship to my FFL as soon as they had the form 3. Fast forward to government shutdown and I figure we are going to be in the waiting game a bit longer, no worries, it’s part of the NFA game.

Now, Uncle Sam is back at work and I figure it’s worth a call to see if they have had any progress on the form 3. They check and tell me the can is not in stock but they are expecting it any day now. So, they don’t have it and there has been no form 3.

Seems a little like BS to me. If it takes time, it’s no big deal, just be straightforward and honest...

My LGS was willing to sell me any suppressor they had in the display case, even if it wasn't actually in stock. Had to be ordered from either manufacturer or distributor. They explained it in terms of supply/demand... not many people buy them, so there's no reason to have a back room full. Especially when it takes so long to get it anyway, they can just order it & wait.

Its probably not the best business model, but I guess its part of the game we play. If I were selling on GB though, I think I would make it clear that the item isn't in stock.

My LGS was willing to sell me any suppressor they had in the display case, even if it wasn't actually in stock. Had to be ordered from either manufacturer or distributor. They explained it in terms of supply/demand... not many people buy them, so there's no reason to have a back room full. Especially when it takes so long to get it anyway, they can just order it & wait.

This.
There are SOOOO many different makes and models it would be near impossible for most shops to stock all or even most of them. We carry cans from SF, AAC, Gemtech, Silencerco, KAC, Q, YHM, and more.
If the customer wants one that's not in stock, we can special order it for them.
All of our distributors efile their form 3's so turnaround is like 48 hours. While that is processing, the customer gets their fingerprint cards done, passport photos, and such...
Upon arrival, we call the customer and when they arrive complete the Form 4 and then submit.

Maybe I am wrong but I thought you needed a serial number to send in for your stamp?

Before its sent in for your stamp the manufacturer or distributor has to send it to the dealer. A dealer can sell an item they dont have, order it from their supplier at which point the serial number is selected for that order. Form 3 is filed, item is sent to the dealer and then you begin the Form 4 process. A dealer could technically begin the Form 4 process before they have the can in stock but if theres an error on the serial numbers thats a heap of problems. Thats happened to a member on here. Was it @Bypass?

Before its sent in for your stamp the manufacturer or distributor has to send it to the dealer. A dealer can sell an item they dont have, order it from their supplier at which point the serial number is selected for that order. Form 3 is filed, item is sent to the dealer and then you begin the Form 4 process. A dealer could technically begin the Form 4 process before they have the can in stock but if theres an error on the serial numbers thats a heap of problems. Thats happened to a member on here. Was it @Bypass?

Of course it was. Who else could it possibly have happened too with his luck? Lol (I am pretty sure it was him)

Back
Top Bottom