• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Semi auto or O/U ?

rugerguy

Army Icon Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
43   0
Reaction score
I'm not into shotguns and I've been thinking about getting one. I want it for all around functionality ( clay, bird etc.). Looking for a 12 ga. but open to a 20 ga. not worried about recoil.... As for money anywhere from 1200- 2500 depending on the shotgun. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance....

There are advantages and disadvantages of each:

Semi-auto have less felt recoil than an o/u.
You will have 3 shells instead of 2 for hunting with a semi-auto.
Semi-autos have the lower price-to-quality ratio.

o/u are more reliable and easier to clean.
With an o/u you can use 2 different chokes.
If you are reloading or picking up the hulls then the o/u is much easier.

There are many choices, but these are the 3 brands we most often see in the field or public Sporting Clays course:
Benelli, Beretta, Browning

12 vs 20
If recoil is not an issue, then the cost of ammo is generally comparable but the variety and availability for the 12 ga is significantly greater.

Several ranges offer shotgun rentals.
Try a few different types to see what works best for you :)

I'm not into shotguns and I've been thinking about getting one. I want it for all around functionality ( clay, bird etc.). Looking for a 12 ga. but open to a 20 ga. not worried about recoil.... As for money anywhere from 1200- 2500 depending on the shotgun. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance....
Ruger red label O/U 12 ga or a Benelli M4H2O non neutered.

Hard to beat a good semi auto for all around use. Winchester SX4, Mossberg 940, Franchi Affinity 3, Benelli anything, Beretta anything, etc. Go to the store, handle them all, buy the one that feels best to you and you’ll be doing fine.

I have a 940 that’s been flawless but I chose it because it has adjustable LOP.

I recommend you treat yourself to a new, not used Browning 725 Sporting with adjustable comb. 30" or 32" barrels. It's at the top of your price range but you will not regret the purchase.
Besides, once you go Over Under you never go back.
I will look into it! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom