• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Semi auto or O/U ?

most quail preserves will not allow an automatic, nor a 12ga....
most folks who actually shoot birds would NEVER use a 12 ga....
I'm just say.n
clays....most shoot lesser than 12ga.....some shoot .410 bore....not me...I'm not good enough
Grouse and pheasant hunting is .12 Ga all day long……

I will look into it! Thanks!
Dude. That is NOT a first shotgun. Trust me and get you a nice BENELLI automatic.
They make them in many variations…and they are ALL high quality.
For $1500-$1700 you could probably find a lightly used BENELLI SUPERSPORT that will do anything you want to do with a shotgun. Get the 28” barrel, not the 30.

I will look into it! Thanks!
Dude. That is NOT a first shotgun. Trust me and get you a nice BENELLI automatic.
They make them in many variations…and they are ALL high quality.
For $1500-$1700 you could probably find a BENELLI SUPERSPORT that will do anything you want to do with a shotgun.
Even better,

OP, you opened a can of worms. Shotgunning is an art all its own. You can spend more on a shotgun than a rifle. Both auto and doubles have their own merits. If you're not well versed with a scatter gun, you need to start with something basic. A Remington 1100 sporting would go a long ways for you. I'd get a 12ga, larger pattern and longer range. One barrel to deal with and quick follow up shots. You want to use the extended Briley type chokes, the sporting model comes with them. The only draw back is an auto is heavier than a good double. And the recoil will be less with the auto. Another feature is you have 3 shots in a hunting scenario. The double only has 2. If you're good one or two is all you need, but starting out 3 might be better. Take some lessons, it may help you as well. Make sure to go out and find what ammo patterns best, that by its self will take you a long ways. I like low brass #6s best for most all around hunting and shooting. Gives you better range, energy and patterns better. You go high brass, you're just spending more money and it won't pattern as well. This is due to the fact higher velocity and more recoil = mushroomed shot that won't fly straight. Good luck and have fun.

I have a beretta a400 extreme plus. I can hunt turkey, pheasant, ducks, doves, quail etc. it’s a beast on the sporting clays course.

I do prefer a o/u for skeet/trap. Beretta 686 or newer 687 are buy once cry once. They are great shotguns.

If you are looking best all around semi is probably way to go but I agree with a lot of guys. Go handle several. Rent them at sporting clays course and find what works for you. Most like a longer barrel but I’m more of a hunter and I’ve always pointed better with my 26”. It really comes down to feel and works best for you. Confidence in anything goes a long way. Investing time in finding the right fit for you will serve you well in the long run. Good luck and happy shooting.

Back
Top Bottom