• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Serial numbers—Be mindful

Capture+_2019-11-04-08-05-19.png

I'm not dictating what you should do, just debating the merits of hiding serials, which I think are based on unfounded fears and paranoia. Your guns, your choice.
That's kind of what I think too. Does anyone know of something bad that has happened as a result of someone skimming a gun serial number online? I can't think of anything.

That's kind of what I think too. Does anyone know of something bad that has happened as a result of someone skimming a gun serial number online? I can't think of anything.
If it had, it'd be epic Fudd legend by now, extolled over every gun counter in the country.

My thoughts... I don’t feel anything could ever come of someone getting a serial number from one of mine, BUT, why take that chance when it’s easy enough to block the number in a posted photo. I also don’t understand how someone can pluck a credit card number out of a Bluetooth transmission but it happens so I say CYA

I think the bigger problem would be some sort of a data base as to who has what over what is and isn't stolen. Something to keep in mind is that pictures taken with phones have data with them like time date and location. A lot of pictures are automatically loaded to a server somewhere. So lets say you take a pic and color over the serial number and post that pic, the original pic is probably already stored somewhere else with out the number covered. So while people that you are selling to can't see it whoever is in charge of the servers could. It's a long stretch but this day in age not a hard one

I always photoshop a different ser number on all my pics of gunz. No worries.

I always use 4314215 on all my M1 pics. Funny, most folks never notice. :becky:

Back
Top Bottom