• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Serial numbers—Be mindful

I think the bigger problem would be some sort of a data base as to who has what over what is and isn't stolen. Something to keep in mind is that pictures taken with phones have data with them like time date and location. A lot of pictures are automatically loaded to a server somewhere. So lets say you take a pic and color over the serial number and post that pic, the original pic is probably already stored somewhere else with out the number covered. So while people that you are selling to can't see it whoever is in charge of the servers could. It's a long stretch but this day in age not a hard one
That's why you turn that **** off on your smartphone options....

I think the bigger problem would be some sort of a data base as to who has what over what is and isn't stolen. Something to keep in mind is that pictures taken with phones have data with them like time date and location. A lot of pictures are automatically loaded to a server somewhere. So lets say you take a pic and color over the serial number and post that pic, the original pic is probably already stored somewhere else with out the number covered. So while people that you are selling to can't see it whoever is in charge of the servers could. It's a long stretch but this day in age not a hard one

As much as some don’t like the idea of a BOS, this in itself is a reason to document transaction. Paper trail when it comes down to legalities

My Dad put his social security number on all his more expensive tools, and growing up he put it on all our bikes. After all, it was a good way to recover stolen property and what harm would it cause? Right?

I can't think of a reason that this would be a problem, but who knows what will come down the road. No one thought anything of showing keys in 'EDC dumps' until it became common knowledge that it's really, really easy to duplicate a key from a picture.

Back
Top Bottom