• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Serious questions about hearing damage from actual shootings?

These may be dumb questions, but I seriously don't know these answers. Do combat troops where hearing protection? What about police officers when clearing a building or during an operation when shooting is a real possibility.

How likely is hearing damage from discharging a firearm multiple times inside a close space- hallway, kitchen or garage?

Are there certain firearms or rounds that present less of a risk from hearing damage inside buildings? For example I assume supersonic 357 magnum rounds from a short barreled revolvers pose a greater risk to hearing damage when discharged inside a building as compared to subsonic 9mm rounds fired from a carbine ?

I know suppressors will fix all of these concerns, but I am only concerned about non surprised weapons right now.

I always wonder about that when watching movies and someone fires full auto from an SBR in a concrete hallway... I'm thinking that would cause permanent damage righ
I was in the Army for 13 years before they saw fit to issue hearing protection for combat. If you ownder if you should need it, think about how much you ears ring when you fire one shot while hunting. If you worry about it, get some electronic hearing protection. I use them at the range and while hunting. They are great. While hunting, they allow you to hear the critters sneaking around, then protect your ears when you fire. I doubt I'd take the time in my home during a break in, but its a thougth...

Read up on "auditory exclusion".

For instance, in my first gunfight, my shotgun sounded like slammed door from across a room, and the 5.56 rounds sounded like popping popcorn. All of that was under high stress. Meanwhile, the 2 .45ACP rounds that started the fight sounded much louder, but I wasn't under the same stress......yet.
Yep even the M2 is quiet when you are getting shot at and returning fire. Everything seemed to slow down for me as well. Then after I would smoke a cigarette and try to calm down. Never wore hearing protection. It was the last thing I was concerned with. And IEDs and mortars are rather quiet as well but your ears will either be bleeding or ringing.

All the **** I have done and all the crap that has happened to my ears and all I have is tinnitus which I can live with.

OP don't worry about your ears in a shooting situation. Just make it out alive.

Tinnitus and high frequency hearing loss from 16 years on the flightline. Despite hearing protection. Hearing aids help with the hearing loss, but nothing helps with the constant ringing.

Someone shot a 45 near my right ear before I had my protection on a few months ago. Much, much worse.

Always wear protection. You don't have any idea how miserable it can be.
I have the same problem from working on the flight line here at Robins. You are so correct!

For instance, in my first gunfight, my shotgun sounded like slammed door from across a room, and the 5.56 rounds sounded like popping popcorn. All of that was under high stress. Meanwhile, the 2 .45ACP rounds that started the fight sounded much louder, but I wasn't under the same stress......yet.
I am familiar with auditory exclusion and I know that the shots are not perceived as being loud. But can they still cause permanent damage to your hearing?

Thanks for the replies...let's bump this up to the top and see what the ODT morning crew thinks

I've often wondered the same thing OP. I think the answer is you should absolutely wear protection when practicing. And just because something is suppressed doesn't mean it is hearing safe. Don't believe that a suppressor makes it ok. It appears the short of it is in combat or even as an LEO, most don't. I'm not sure why exactly other than it's not comfortable and you don't know when you're going to need it specifically. Not being able to hear a command from someone else might be another reason. The last thing you're worried about in a live-fire situation is your hearing I'd imagine.

I am familiar with auditory exclusion and I know that the shots are not perceived as being loud. But can they still cause permanent damage to your hearing?

While your brain may ignore the sound, the damage is still done. I used to and still do from time to time use my ears for income running sound, I always double up with plugs and muffs.

I shot quite a bit without hearing protection when I was younger, but I always wear protection these days...I am more surprised that my hearing isn't damaged from many years of super loud guitars and drums, while not wearing ear protection. I had my ears checked a couple years ago at work and they said I have near perfect hearing. I could not believe it. LOL!

Auditory exclusion doesn't protect your hearing it only temporarily lessens the effects loud noises have on your perceived sound. It's the same as when someone is injured and doesn't feel the pain of the injury immediately. Just because a gun shot wound or a knife cut doesn't hurt when you're in the fight doesn't mean the injury isn't there. Same goes for your hearing. Physical damage is still physical damage.

I've been lucky and only suffered minor hearing issues from my time in the Marines and in LE. I always run hearing protection when practicing or even hunting especially if I'm using my SBR. I'm with Bypass Bypass in that you need not worry about the hearing issue when the SHTF. Just get out alive and be happy if all you got was some hearing issues.

Back
Top Bottom