• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Seriously; What is a low-ball?

JHV2

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
53   0
Reaction score
This is not a rant, I am seriously trying to learn something.
When is an offer a low-ball?

I am one who believes that one should ask a fair price and a price that you expect to get. I have never "offered" anyone on this site a lower than posted price. Either I take it at the posted price or skip it. (note: I am not interested in items that can be bought new, but mainly items that are 20 years old or older.)

Lately, I have been seeing people asking much more than the "going rate" for items, and/or items posted for weeks in the ODT classified. Many times I would like to have the item but at a "fair" price not the "inflated" price some people seem to think they can get. Am I missing out by not making lower offers?

My question is how much is too low to be considered insulting? For instance if someone is asking $450 for an 50 year old item that is posted on an auction site for 350-450, would I be rude to offer them $350 or $375? At what point do you consider an offer a "low-ball"?

This is not a rant, I am seriously trying to learn something.
When is an offer a low-ball?

I am one who believes that one should ask a fair price and a price that you expect to get. I have never "offered" anyone on this site a lower than posted price. Either I take it at the posted price or skip it. (note: I am not interested in items that can be bought new, but mainly items that are 20 years old or older.)

Lately, I have been seeing people asking much more than the "going rate" for items, and/or items posted for weeks in the ODT classified. Many times I would like to have the item but at a "fair" price not the "inflated" price some people seem to think they can get. Am I missing out by not making lower offers?

My question is how much is too low to be considered insulting? For instance if someone is asking $450 for an 50 year old item that is posted on an auction site for 350-450, would I be rude to offer them $350 or $375? At what point do you consider an offer a "low-ball"?

:pop2:This should be good.....

As far as I'm concerned, there is no such thing as a "low-ball" offer. The seller is welcome to decline or accept any offer, therefore they're all valid. If I'm buying, I offer what I'm willing to pay. If I'm selling, I accept what I'm willing to take. There's no reason for anyone to take anything as an insult, or to be rude about being on either side of the deal.

To me it's all in the delivery. If you present your reasonable offer in a manner that is respectful, then typically sellers won't be offended.

Please feel free to "low ball" anyone who uses the term MSRP in their add. Very few guns, if any sale for MSRP.

To me it's all in the delivery. If you present your reasonable offer in a manner that is respectful, then typically sellers won't be offended.

I think it might be this: you are a Super MOD thus have respect & clout......many.......many times I have offended when that was not my intention and I always try to be respectful even when others are not!

As far as I'm concerned, there is no such thing as a "low-ball" offer. The seller is welcome to decline or accept any offer, therefore they're all valid. If I'm buying, I offer what I'm willing to pay. If I'm selling, I accept what I'm willing to take. There's no reason for anyone to take anything as an insult, or to be rude about being on either side of the deal.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Well said!

Back
Top Bottom