• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Settle an argument please - brick masons?

palmettomoon palmettomoon Just yesterday we used

SkyBryte OSPHO Rust Inhibiting Coating​

from Sherwin Williams yesterday. Metal posts were rusting. Paint or apply it with a spray bottle then come back in a little while after it dries and apply a metal paint product.
Stuff is like acid. Don't get it on ya

In NC. At friend's house. She claims the inspector told her that she'd need to have someone come use steel wool to scrub all the rust off this header plate. There's another over the garage door. I say he's full of schitt and probably shouldn't be an inspector based on the other ****ed up shyte I've seen here (that he never mentions) from improperly installed boots to rats nest service panels.

She learned from a "handy man" that the rust could be scrubbed off both pieces of bar stock for $350. I say bullshyte! Con, total con.

The stock may be a flat on angle iron and it's 1/8th inch thick. I can't find any NC residential code that calls for "rust free" bar stock in header construction.

Why couldn't I simply hit it with some phosphating solution and be done? It's not exposed to rain at all.

This area of retired and widowed women is prime targeting area for scammers and charlatans.
View attachment 6159025

This house was built in 1984. That steel has been up there for damned near 40 years and I say it'll be there 100 years from now even if she does abso****inglutely nothing to it.
If that rust just has to go..buy a little acid, dilute it with water, wear acid gloves and eye protection, because it’s over head, put it on with old tooth brush, don’t let it drip down your arm..lol…it will make that rust go away, them prime it, and paint it..with some kind of rust…paint..won’t cost much at all

If that rust just has to go..buy a little acid, dilute it with water, wear acid gloves and eye protection, because it’s over head, put it on with old tooth brush, don’t let it drip down your arm..lol…it will make that rust go away, them prime it, and paint it..with some kind of rust…paint..won’t cost much at all
I’ve used cranberry juice on surface rust, makes it go away too

lintels are red iron angle primed and engineered to gradually rust - paint it with rustoleum and be done
This. I've never seen these not rusted. Maybe when they're first installed new. They all rust. It's not hurting a thing. If it bothers you, take a drill with a wire brush and remove rust. Then paint with Rustoleum.

This house was built in 1984. That steel has been up there for damned near 40 years and I say it'll be there 100 years from now even if she does abso****inglutely nothing to it.
Agree. I built a brick house around the same time and the masons used plain steel lintels lagged over the opening. The width of a plantation sized brick and about 1/4" thick. The 'inspector' this lady had is full of BS. At most, paint the exposed part with rustoleum.

All this window and garage door overhang stuff being promoted now is just another niche business that relies on homeowners' ignorance and fright.

Back
Top Bottom