Share deer secrets

Get in a pissin contest with him!
I always heard NEVER pee anywhere near where you hunt, BUT... I read an article a couple of years ago saying a deer could not tell the difference between human and deer pee, just male and female. Anyway,last year, I kicked out a scrape about 1.5' diameter and peed in it. Ame back a couple of days later and it had been pawed at, so I kicked it out a little and peed again. This continued about twice a week for the season. I never saw the buck, but by the end, the scrape was about 6' diameter and 1' deep. He was pissed I pissed.

i50.tinypic.com_9qw5le.jpg

Right place at the right time. Marshallville Ga, not to far from you dixietoolz. No bait, scents, or calls.
Nice buck, Marshalville is Macon Co, correct? They are turning out some studs.

I've tried all kinds of stuff and believe that a lot of the attractant scents spook more than they attract. The only thing I'm sure will bring in a deer every once in a while is rattling. But it has to be done at the right time and place to work.

The rest of the time I will just try to be in the right place at the right time without doing anything other than taking steps to be invisible visually and olfactory. I don't get to spend a lot of time in the woods anymore, but I still see and kill quite a few deer.

Finding good stand locations is the key. It takes time (years) to get several of them in an area, but once you have them they will be consistent producers as long as you are careful about getting in, getting out and let them rest a few days between hunts. Last year we had seven deer killed off of two stand locations that were hunted a total of about ten times combined. No bait, attractant scents or calls were used. I also missed a 120 or 130 class buck within 150 yards of one of those two stands while dragging other deer out.

Stop trying to bring them to you and find out where THEY are going to be.

Also, even once you find a good location, be very careful choosing the exact location of the stand. Think about wind, sunshine, cover, shooting lanes, expected deer movement direction, time of day you will hunt the stand, your approach to the stand, etc, etc. The details count.

Get into the tough spots. Our most productive stand location has been named "The Bowels of Hell Stand". Does that tell you anything? LOL!

Last edited:
Get in a pissin contest with him!
I always heard NEVER pee anywhere near where you hunt, BUT... I read an article a couple of years ago saying a deer could not tell the difference between human and deer pee, just male and female. Anyway,last year, I kicked out a scrape about 1.5' diameter and peed in it. Ame back a couple of days later and it had been pawed at, so I kicked it out a little and peed again. This continued about twice a week for the season. I never saw the buck, but by the end, the scrape was about 6' diameter and 1' deep. He was pissed I pissed.
Ive done this myself and come back to the scrap the same day and he came back and scrapped it again. It makes them think that another buck is moving in on them. It drives them nuts and makes them move a little more

Ok here is what you do .Go to sonic before dark instead of hunting stay there eating icecreme till it gets dark then get one to go ,and drive around in the country with the brights on ,and the horn blowing before long one will jump out ,and you will hit it .Bam you had icecreme ,deer ,and you didnt have to leave the comforts of your truck . You can thank me later .

This isn't a tip for drawing them in so much as making sure it tastes good .... I know it sounds silly but I've been hunting now for better than 20 years and I've taken at least one and in some cases two deer a year .... I won't take a deer if it's been running scared/is hot/sweaty/out of breath ..... the release of adrenaline that happens under these conditions makes the meat taste more gamey. Don't believe me? Test it yourself .....

Unless a dear is standing or moseying at his own pace and not under obvious stress I won't even pull the trigger anymore.

Back
Top Bottom