Share deer secrets

Scent control.

Staying on stand all day if you have to and spending as much time in the woods as possible.

I like to mask my scent by putting my hunting clothes in a box stuffed with pine branches.

I also like to hunt near pinch points where several different terrains meet one another.

I've had hit and miss with doe in heat scents but code blue has been good to me more often than not and I have not had any success with code red scent.
The thinks gel has not worked for me either.

Rattling has not brought me luck but I have had great success with a standard doe bleat call with two bleep, bleeps to bring in monster bucks that came out of nowhere and to bring does closer and out of cover.

I like to bleat every half hour in case something may be sneeking by in the distance.

When I know a deer is in the area I freeze or severely slow down my movements because chances are they are watching me.

They are hard to,predicts, sometime smart, sometimes dumb.
Sometimes will bolt if they walk up,on you and other times they will grunt, stomp, and bob their head up and down trying to spook you....this is when your heart jumps out of your chest especially if you are on the ground and one walks up to you doing this.
You don't want to move but you don't want to get attacked and you are just hoping for them to look away so you can raise your weapon for a shot.

So,etimes a shot window will last three seconds tops so don't think if you just give them more time they will stop at the bigger opening up ahead...nope because at this point they may pick up the pace with no shot available.
Lots of things to take into consideration during a quick window of opportunity.

I can't tell you how many opportunities I missed while waiting for a " better" shot but I would rather not shoot than make a poor shot by wounding a deer.

Man, I love being out in the woods.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom