Shooting from Reset, bad or good?

I took a (Super)Dave Harrington Carbine Class several years ago. I was running through a gauntlet drill and shooting from reset, also known as riding the trigger. I took a bad step and stumbled putting a round in the dirt fifteen feet in front of me. Shooting from reset is baaaaad ju-ju. Like Bear44 said, Murphy's Law applies.

did Dave give you a Thumbs up or the Roid rage stare lol

I worked with Dave and trained with him and several others, he is a trip, mellowed out these day's but he is a machine

Roger that. I'm curious to know why some teach it, while others don't?

Shooting from reset is faster and provides a lighter trigger pull, once the technique is mastered. It is primarily a competition method. If it's faster and you can maintain better accuracy, it must be good for the real world or a fight, right? :)

Rob Leatham made some interesting comments in an interview at SHOT 2012 where he stated that shooting to reset wasn't necessary. I'd like to hear more about the pros and cons. It seems that those who teach defensive handgunning are moving away from it and focusing on consistent trigger pull straight to the rear. The idea being that when speed is needed, you're not going to have time to think about reset.

that is why you practice to your ability, so you won't think, it will be instinct

There is no right or wrong on this, either you do or you don't shoot from the reset. Either way is acceptable. Like any other technique, personal preference

. It is not necessary to shoot from the reset if you have good trigger control, as we know, it can be a bad thing also, but if you are not on your target, your finger should be off the trigger correct ?

I'm still gonna do it no matter what anyone says. I'm a trigger pull nerd and I'm well accustomed to it, so I'll keep doing it.

Having said that, there are some guns that just have no benefit to shooting from reset. Hi-Point pistols, for instance.

Not sure, but I'm going to play Devils Advocate. Nothing about firearms is instinctive, combat reloads, sight alignment sight picture reloads grip stance breathing etc etc. Trigger reset is one of those things, could be good could be bad, If under stress something like reset which has been muscle memory for many shooters, can't be performed, what about everything else? If you can't properly perform reset, how are you going to reload under pressure, and that natural point of aim we work so hard. for might dissapear? I can understand a dead trigger mentality, but for me to accept their advice and change my ways, I'd like to hear real world evidence that a fight has been lost due to reset.

As Wheeler said, in the competition world shooting from trigger reset is advantageous when matches can be won or lost over three hundredths of a second. So in that respect, I understand instructors teaching the technique for that application. But as Wheeler also said, very little from the competition world applies when you find yourself downrange on Main Street. My guess as to why some teach it and others don't? Probably the same answer to the choice between Sig and HK or .45acp vs. 9mm. :noidea:

Shooting from reset is faster and provides a lighter trigger pull, once the technique is mastered. It is primarily a competition method. If it's faster and you can maintain better accuracy, it must be good for the real world or a fight, right? :)

Not sure if serious, but the Guy with more rounds on target wins, fight or competition..

Back
Top Bottom